or Connect

Posts by bczmama

Actually, "marking" is not just a superstition, but also part of Rudolf Steiner's beliefs. I googled out of interest and google books popped up "From Comets to Cocaine" (previously published as "Health and Illness") by Steiner. On page 160 he states that what a woman does with her mind during the pregnancy will effect the fetus -- "She shapes and forms the child with what she imagines, feels and wills." On page 161 he also states that a pregnant woman who is startled by...
"We're in negotiation phase, but so far, the negotiation is for us to give up four different days (including birthday weekend) so that we can have my stepdaughter those 10 hours on the 6th. It's just a powerplay for her Mother right now." How important is this event to your SD? Would she be willing to miss out on seeing her Dad for four days (including her birthday) out of already pretty limited time to come to the wedding? I think in that situation maybe the SD gets...
In this situation, where the need for money is not immediately dire, I think you need to sit down with your husband and discuss financial goals (if you haven't already). Does he want to retire early and what do you both want your retirement to look like? Do you both want to have the ability to travel extensively? Do you want to move to a nicer home or a nicer neighborhood? How stable is his job? Do you not have an emergency fund, and that is what is troubling him? Is...
I guess I really differ in opinion on this issue. I am in (and always want to be in) a marriage where both people want to be in the marriage. Not because they have no other options (stay married or starve?), but as a willing choice, freely made by two adults. All this discussion about "we've both decided we don't need a plan" assumes that both parties are coming from an equal place. For most SAHMs, that is not reality. He doesn't need a plan because he's not going...
"This was his observation and could be loaded with bias and there are no doubt people who might even find that offensive." I think any blanket statement about a group of people tends to be loaded with bias and I certainly find it offensive. I think anyone who wasn't Waldorf educated would find the idea that they don't have their own opinions to be offensive. Anyway as an answer -- just look at our own culture. How many of the truly independent and genuinely well...
When I looked at Waldorf, I came to the conclusion that while it was not strictly a separate religion with its own God (like Christianity versus Hinduism) it reminded me in certain particulars of LDS and Scientology. LDS as being a particular take on Christian thought and Scientology as being a "life philosophy". In fact, I felt its closest popular parallel was Scientology (as being a life philosophy organized by a charismatic personality, with "secret" or "specialized...
"We have always tried doing that, and a couple of attempts seemd to be paing off--literally--then unexpected expenses appeared and the debt piled back on." This leads me to believe that you're going to use your retirement, pay off your debt -- then incur more expenses and have both debt and no retirement. Better to preserve the retirement and consider it your emergency fund (for major medical/disability as well as retirement) and work on paying off the debt. ...
For us, Waldorf was an attempt to compromise on my DSS's education -- between a mother who wanted to HS (on an extremely "relaxed" basis) and my DH's desire for an academically rigorous education for DSS (who is gifted, particularly in math, and loves science). He got pulled when DH felt that his ex's home school efforts would be better for DSS than what Waldorf had to offer. This was for a number of reasons (in large part because of an almost anti-intellectual...
"But, I am assuming that parents who choose to educate their children in a Catholic school would like their children to be exposed to Catholic values and grow up to be good Catholic members of society. I do not think parents send their children to Waldorf schools to become good Anthroposophical members of society. If this would be their motive they would be horribly disappointed as chances are their DC would not have any particular inclination to practice...
"In our collaborated opinion, there is a difference between a Catholic school and a Waldorf school as in a Catholic school Catholicism is taught and in a Waldorf school anthroposophy is not taught, at least it should not be." My understanding is that you are incorrect on that. I believe Catholic schools claim that the religion infuses all parts of the education, so even if you are not attending mass or catechism classes at the school, you are still obtaining a...