or Connect

Posts by bczmama

From your original post, I assumed that certain friends/family/members of the congregation were organizing the traditional unveiling of tombstone which (as I understand) usually occurs around the anniversary of death. That this was not some random "celebration" of this guy, but rather a part of the funerary rites of the religion. It seemed odd to me, that after not speaking up at the moments which would solve your problem, you chose to respond as you did, when you did...
I find this a little odd. You weren't willing to take action when it could have mattered (when the behavior could have been stopped). Now that he's not bothering you anymore because he's dead, you feel the issue is important enough to hurt his grieving family? And you're thinking about protesting the place that offered to ban him (which you told them not to do) because the family is having a tribute for him there and so they're not supportive enough of you? The...
This question falls into a very interesting area of discussion -- what are our touchstones as a culture? I totally agree that a basic knowledge of the bible and mythology (roman, greek, egyptian and norse) are very important for any higher level english course (or to enjoy even much of the literature, movies (the Lord of the Rings without knowing any Norse mythology isn't as interesting) and music of today). I tend to look at this issue as being a pyramid of...
My recommendations would be: (1) Sound of Music (2) Mary Poppins (3) The Black Stallion (4) Watership Down (5) The Secret of Nimh (6) A Little Princess (1995 version) (7) Annie (8) Pollyanna (9) The Parent Trap (either version though I think the 60's version is more fun) (10) Fantasia (11) The Court Jester ("the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!") (12) Singing in the Rain (13) Two Brothers
Do you think your BIL would respond better to "male" authority than "female" authority? Sounds like he might be pretty traditional. Maybe your FIL pulling him aside and saying something along the lines of "this sort of thing didn't go on in the home I raised SIL in, and when you married, I believed and expected that both SIL and your future children would be in a safe, comfortable home, where they were respected and well-treated. You know your anger isn't normal, and...
"So what if she doesn't like to play with other kids? So what if she doesn't even like them? It's not necessary to like other people. I didn't like children when I was small. Hell, I don't like many adults. There are only a few people with whom I feel an intimate connection - my husband, my undergrad advisor, and one friend from college." I think the problem with that is when there is difficulty forming relationships/intimate connections but the child becomes...
"Is there some actual _reason_ that people put kids to bed so early?" Yup. I think sleep is as important as good nutrition for current and future health (both mental and physical). Since I'm not willing to let the kids sleep until noon (they're up at 6:30 M-F to have breakfast and time with Dad), they go to bed earlier. I've been using guidelines that recommend (including naptimes) 13.75 hours for 1 year, 13.5 for 18 months, 13 for two years, and 12 for 3 years. I...
We have a functional (but not without its stresses) 50/50 co-parenting relationship with DSS' mother and her husband. DSS (just turned 9) has been asking for about a half year if he can stay more than 50/50 with us. Because the requests have been persistent and on-going, DH is considering pushing for something like 70/30. He (naturally) would love to have DSS more frequently, thinks DSS is old enough now to have a "say", and is unhappy with certain things at the ex's...
For me, my prudent preparations for the future are as follows: (1) Adequate life insurance, disability insurance, savings for college and retirement, appropriate wills and guardianship for kids. I think its important to plan first for the most likely scenario. Between the world as we know it ending versus dying in a car wreck, I'll choose preparing for the car wreck everytime. (2) Easy access to cash -- I keep about $5,000 hidden in the freezer, at the bottom of a...
At opposite ends of the spectrum from one another: Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse, the essence of light-hearted fun. and Jane Eyre, gothic romance at its best, and one of the few books from childhood that is just as satisfying to re-read now. Also love -- Les Miserables by Hugo