or Connect

Posts by bczmama

"I do not resent my status as a SAHM but I do get angry when people think I just well, sit at home, drink coffee and smile at my children all day. I think the studies/articles like this are useful for all those people who do not realise how much work staying at home involves, not for me because I know from experience." I guess I would find these more legitimate if they broke down just the child related costs and realized that, for example, doing the household bills...
I guess it may be a difference in view point on what the purpose of life insurance and the will provision really is. I don't think that kids who have reached their majority in households where the parents are married have a right to expect a big life insurance payout or an inheritance (or even the fair splitting of an inheritance). To my mind, those items in a divorce settlement are to make sure that the child's needs are met until such point as it is reasonable to...
Some tweaks/issues I would suggest considering -- (1) Religion -- do you want to specify what religion the children will be raised? (2) Child's birthday -- who has the children on their birthdays should also be laid out with holidays. It may be useful to specify pickup/dropoff times for holidays/family events if relevant as that can reduce conflict in future as it gives you something to drop back on. I would literally pull together a 5 year calendar with your...
"It really irks me how little value people place on farm "chores". Those daily tasks of running a farm are important for children to learn about so that they at least will understand where their food comes from and their place in taking care of/preserving the earth for future generations. Do you you all honestly believe that we as a country are going to be able to consume at the same level indefinitely?? I think those of you who don't teach your children about...
"Also, I'm sure that if I'd written this more slanted towards homeschooling opportunities available through the care and management of livestock (and the showing of animals at fairs), the planning, cultivation, harvesting, and preservation of food, in addition to the skills associated with running a household and small business, it'd be a very different discussion. But when approaching those same activities in terms of household/family responsibilities - it's different and...
I think mama41 may be generalizing what holds true for a fairly small segment of the population -- future academics/college professors. 100% of the people I know who've gone down that path have had their masters/phd paid for by the programs that they are in. Quite frankly from their experience, if you're not good enough to get your Ph.d in (for example) History paid for by the school, you're not good enough to get a tenure track position, and shouldn't be following that...
Captains Courageous -- (the original version) with Spencer Tracey. A boy of privilege learns how to be a good person from a Portugese fisherman. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington with Jimmy Stewart -- about how honesty and even innocence has power. High Noon with Gary Cooper -- about doing the right thing and standing up (even alone) against those in the wrong. Also a pretty exciting flick. To Kill a Mockingbird with Gregory Peck -- for all the obvious...
A temporary thing would be okay in my mind, but not as a permanent way of living. My Dad only worked one job, but for extended hours. Left most mornings by 6/6:30 am. Came back home for dinner around 6, then about 3 or 4 nights a week left again around 7/7:30 for appointments with clients. Also worked a half day or more on Saturday depending on the circumstances. Mom was SAH. Yes, my relationship with my Dad suffered for it. Also my relationship with my Mom became...
"I know he would get more "services" but I don't think it is worth the sacrifice of a good education to me." Since he has not been able to participate in Waldorf due to his need for some kind of services, can you really get the "good education" part without first addressing the need for the services? To my mind, the #1 items is obtaining the diagnosis and services that are necessary for your child to function well in the school environment, and most everything else...
"No, I don't think it would be harmful to send her to daycare for one day a week." I don't think it would be harmful to send her 5 days a week, quite frankly. It sounds like you're in a hole right now and need to do what is necessary to climb out so that you feel better. Don't let others who can't be without their child (or can't even leave their child with the other parent) dissuade you from what you feel you need.