or Connect

Posts by bczmama

Don't worry -- you won't get anyone to sign that letter. I'm not sure what the upside is to immediately set up a hostile and snarky communication (which I think that letter does) with your medical providers.
I think that it is very easy to supplement school with at home activities that give the benefits of homeschooling, but I don't think the reverse is quite as true. Really, it is quite easy to have kids in school and still give them the benefits of trips to museums, science centers, "educational" vacations (Civil War sites, Williamsburg, Kennedy Space Center, etc.,), even teach them math using baking as an example (from these boards a popular HS concept). Many HS-ers...
"I am so sapped that things which might seem small to other people - like answering an e-mail, or talking with a neighbor who needs a favor - is sometimes just too much for me." While obviously the family is primary, I do think its important not to cut oneself off too much. Keeping up some of these relationships means that you have a support network as well. For example, you may need a favor from that neighbor yourself, and these things are frequently a two-way street.
"I know that these diseases were around before widespread, mandatory childhood vaccinations, but not in the numbers we see now." If you never get to go to school (as many didn't before the mid-1800s), who's to tell if you are ADD? If you die young of contaiminated food or water, or from yellow fever, or malaria who's to know if you would have developed prostate cancer or breast cancer if you'd lived to be 60?
"But are MORE people really reaching these ages? I don't have statistics either way, but I've read things in the past that have said that the number of people reaching their 90's and 100's is not increasing. There have always been people who reached these ages, there just used to be more people who died in childhood or of acute illness or accidents. An interesting article examining whether people have historically lived past the age 100, called "In search of the First...
"I know that correlation does not mean causation even though the vaccine movement uses that argument to say vaccines work, but it looks to me like the huge increase in vaccines has SLOWED DOWN life expectancy growth a great deal from the first half of the 20th century. What increased the rate in the later half of the 19th century?" I think the reason life expectancy increases have slowed down is because the easier items for increasing life expectency in the USA have...
"Formeldihyde is also a concern of mine. WE use that to perseve DEAD BODIES, and inject into our living bodies? makes sense right? NOT!!!!!!!" As has been pointed out many times on this board, the formeldahyde that is in vaccines is not chemically the same as that used as a preservative. I understand that the formeldahyde in vaccines chemically mimics the formeldahyde that is naturally found in the body.
"By today's standards, yes- but this is how life was for many many years before institutionalized education." And if the only opportunities these girls could to have in the future were as limited as "before institutionalized education" that would be one thing. However, sounds like these parents are sabotaging the girls' future. In addition, in my experience, the surest way to make sure the eldest girls don't want to have kids is to give them too much responsiblity for...
"What IS the natural role of mothering??? Honestly I don't know. The closest thing I can think of would probably be a farm wife." Cause its totally natural to be taking out the lunch you made to your husband who is working in the fields.......in his $150,000 tractor with air-conditioned cab. Isn't "natural" just a social construct anyway? I don't believe there is any one, true way that can be deemed the natural way to be.
How enduring this "fantasy treatment" of womanhood really is, is aptly illustrated in the beginning of "Kitty Foyle" (1940) starring Ginger Rogers. It starts showing how wonderfully Ginger's mother at the turn of the century was treated by men -- they are all bowing, stepping aside and kindly offering her a seat on a streetcar. Then the movie cuts to Ginger on her way to work on in a crowded streetcar, treated rudely by men and pushed aside. Some woman of today...