or Connect

Posts by bczmama

I hear you on the environment point for sure! I read extremely early, but how much of that was me and how much of that was my mother reading aloud to me every night beginning when she brought me home from the hospital is difficult to parse out. One of my friends was talking about the contradiction between faster vs. further in relation to her son who is starting alegbra extremely early. Evidently the brain has to develop certain connections/ability for abstract...
"Surely you jest? The last time my grandson saw a ped was at age 15 mo. when he also got his last vaccine. He is 10 yrs. old now. My two completely vax-free grandchildren have seen a ped maybe 3 times to get weight and measured. They've had no allopathic medicine (including abx) ever. They are the healthiest kids in all the play groups and kiddy classes they attend. And we are still waiting for those dreaded "VPD"." You know -- isn't it pretty wrong to claim...
I guess I think its crazy to think you can "know" someone else is healthy. I mean -- how do you know her husband isn't having an affair and Spitzer-like exposing himself to AIDS or whatever? We can talk about the likelihood of transmission and whatnot, but when the stakes are that high, who wants to play that game?
I always see people talking about how early their child walks or crawls or whatever as being indicative of giftedness. I'm really curious -- can anyone point me to a scientific study that shows that "early-ness" in these sorts of things correlates with IQ or ability later in life (like in high school or college)? I suspect "early-ness" is way overemphasized, and that a lot of kids that seem gifted when very small, are eventually caught up to by their peers, but I'd be...
"I don't think anyone is saying let the other kids drink the breastmilk" Actually some posters were saying that that was not a big issue and that's why I felt I had to respond. I agree on the necessity of supervision, but I would be extremely distressed if my child drank the bm of another mother at daycare, and rightly so.
"That is crazy, if BM is a bodily fluid than Cows Milk is a bodily fluid of a farm animal and should be under even more restrictions." That's why the only cow milk you can get at a grocery store is pasteurized. If the other parents at the daycare could be as confident that the OP's milk is as disease-free as pasteurized cows' milk I would feel otherwise about the OP's issue. However, those parents can't. I think that the idea that its perfectly fine for other kids to...
"Yes, society has demeaned the role of any caregiver, especially motherhood, the one of the world's oldest professions. I know it is an unpopular opinion here and elsewhere, but I blame much of the feminist movement for not supporting homemakers and good mothering." As I believe Tigerchild asked -- what do you think society should do to make the proper obeisance at the altar of Motherhood? Are there really that many careers that are respected more than being a...
I've also been thinking a little bit -- and are we really arguing that being a SAHM is less valued by society than being a stockboy at Target, a used car salesman or a meter maid (for those who have seen Parking Wars)? The more I think about it, the less sure I am that that is correct. In fact, can we lump the societal status of all SAHMs together, or does a SAHM assume part of her husband's status?
I know "some people" don't think SAH is a great choice. But "some people" doesn't equal society or even large societal movements. Are there really any groups/people with the following of say "Focus on the Family" and "Dr. Laura" which are as explicitly against SAH as those groups are against WOH?
"IME bullying is not just done by public school kids from disadvantaged backgrounds." I think that's an overcorrection to the original private school comment. IME bullying crops up in all economic brackets, amongst "nice" and not so "nice" families. For example, the two worst bullies in my grade -- one was the son of an upper income family, father a dr. and a SAHM, with really nice sibs and one was from the low income housing that fed into my elementary school.