or Connect

Posts by elanorh

....About a nurse-in scheduled for today in MN.  It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it here yet.  http://www.minnpost.com/community-voices/2012/03/normalize-public-breastfeeding-and-show-mothers-respect 
Another anthropologist chiming in - yes, from a biological perspective there are no 'races' of humans, we are all one race.  Ethnicities/cultures, we are many, but only THE human race, not multiple races.  Race connotes significantly separate genetics, and that simply doesn't exist for us.  As a college student, learning this was great for me - it was the perfect response to all the bigots who acted like racial differences (read: lesser races) existed.  And yet, it's...
Satori, I would keep pushing on the math curriculum for your K kiddo - if it's the teacher who turned you down, ask the teacher's supervisor.  One of the HUGE "sells" for k12 is that it supposedly allows students to work at their own pace.  Unless your K kiddo is behind (and significantly so) in the other coursework, they should send you next year's curriculum.  I'd think that if you push higher, you'll get the answer you want.  Among other things, it helps K12 in the...
Aishamama, my dd is usually done with school in 2-3 hours most days (she's in 2nd).  I'm not counting art in the time she spends on school because she could do art all. day. long.    We are also on-target to finish most of her coursework early (getting her 3rd grade math in the next few weeks in fact).  We are required to do 1 one hour eluminate session/week (two offered, one reading and one math) - and a half-hour eluminate session with the teacher weekly too. ...
I would add that once your mom has talked to the police/Ann, if she does decide to reply with a "Don't contact me again" letter, she should not give any hint that she even knows Ann.  In other words - don't mention Ann, simply *as your mother* tell this person whom she does not know that she doesn't want any further contact with him.  I feel that any acknowledgement that she is related to Ann could give the stalker more information than he should have (unless perhaps...
This might be an alternative bag project - many households have t-shirts which aren't being worn, which are leftover from sports leagues kids have been in, or concerts, or whatever.  http://www.instructables.com/id/FASTEST-RECYCLED-T-SHIRT-TOTE-BAG/  I would do a double-seam on the bottom of the bag to reinforce (stitch 1/4 inch from the first seam to reinforce the seam).  Simple! 
Hi, My cousin is attending college in Bismarck and needs a lawyer.  As a college student, she doesn't have a lot of money - for obvious reasons I'm not going to post details of her situation, but if anyone is aware of a Legal Aid lawyer in the area, or a particularly good attorney in the area, please let me know.  The case involves a restraining order. 
I buy them at our local hardware store.  They are 100% cotton (sound very like what Iowaorganic describes).  Also, although they are far more expensive, Sublime Stitching has some very nice napkins and towels for embroidery, including some organic/fair trade dish towels.  I want to buy those when I finally embroider my OWN dishtowels .... Aunt Martha brand dish towels are also nice - but IMO they're a little *too* large.  JoAnn's had them last time I looked there...
Yay!  I let this drop off my horizon last year - kept working on projects but also kept accumulating projects - I'm so glad to see the thread is up and running again this year, and so many familiar faces posting here too!  I'm still embroidering dish towels (sigh) - but we traveled over New Years which means that I am on track for the 52 project challenge!    I finished 7 towels in the last two weeks, which means I am at 45/52.  I have another three to complete and...
Ditto CindyCindy on the carseats in winter.  Our girls wear fleeces (just light jackets) and then if it's colder, after they're buckled in I put their coats on backwards over their straps (I don't know if that's clear?).  That way it's fast, they're covered mostly by their winter coat, and they have the winter coat readily accessible right away when we get to our destination.  Sometimes it's just their fleeces, with mittens and hats, because we are not driving...