or Connect

Posts by joybird

Ah!  Well then, the thoughts that have helped me the most are to try to put things in perspective.  If you look at the food situation globally, it helps.  We are so incredibly lucky that we have any food at all to feed our children, never mind choices of food which we still have, even with food restrictions.  Also, in terms of health issues that parents could be (and are) dealing with, I'll take allergies/sensitivities any day over some of the other things out there that...
Oh! If I can get it in those larger packages that would be fantastic.  Exactly what I'm looking for - thank you!
I would look for some type of nut/seed granola if he can have those.  They're usually made by small companies who focus on raw foods.  It sounds like grains are problematic anyway so you might as well steer clear of them.
It is very hard unless you can look at the whole thing as a blessing and a gift that has been given to help you find new ways of looking at food and nutrition and even ways of being in the world.  If you feel deprived, you are deprived.  If you change your ways of thinking, your feelings will follow.  In my experience, allergies are directly connected to emotions and they can direct you toward a healthier path in life.  Food is fuel, not happiness.     On a more...
Oh thank you, that does help!  Update this thread if you happen to remember to after you finish your yogurt.  I'd love to hear how it comes out.  I'm trying to figure out how to make good CM yogurt without cans.  I haven't really investigated using fresh ones because it seems like so much work (and expense) but maybe I am wrong...
Thank you, the Tropical Traditions is what I was thinking of.  So it doesn't make coconut milk?  What does it make?  Do you happen to know what the brand is of the creamed coconut in aseptic packages?  Is it the kind that's tightly sealed in plastic and in a box?  I have some of that but the package is really tiny, hard as a rock and I think it cost a fortune. I haven't tried anything with it yet - I actually forgot I had it in my cupboard until just now.
No problem.  A nice mama here shared her recipe with me a loooong time ago.  I use two cans of regular (not light - it doesn't work) coconut milk.  Heat the milk and 2 Tbsp honey (I also put in 1-2 tsp vanilla, and 1 tsp gelatin, stirring well) to between 90-110 degrees.  I go at the high end of this since I have to replenish the hot water in the cooler every now and then.  When the milk is heated, add a small amount to your jar.  Stir in the probiotic starter very well,...
ETA:  You can definitely use mason jars instead, it's very easy.  But yogurt needs to incubate at a higher temp so I do mine in a small cooler filled with warm water, keeping it warm for 24 hours.  Most people do a shorter fermentation time but I like my yogurt tart and heavy on the probiotics.  Kefir is done at room temp.  You also need to add honey or some kind of sugar for the bacteria to eat.  A small amount of gelatin will help it not be too runny and very similar...
I always used to make coconut milk yogurt with canned coconut milk but if I remember correctly, isn't there a way to get coconut milk from coconut cream online somewhere?  I don't have time to use fresh coconuts and I make too much yogurt for that anyway.  I do use the So Delicious coconut milk for other things but I think it might be too watery for yogurt.  
If you want coconut milk yogurt (or any yogurt) you need the specific bacteria that make up yogurt, which are bulgaricus and thermopilus.  I always throw in a capsule of whatever DF probiotics I have around as well, but you definitely need those two.  The only starter I've found for doing coconut yogurt is this one: http://www.giprohealth.com/yogurtstarter.aspx Yes, it is expensive but not when compared to the Body Ecology starter, since you can get so many quarts of...