or Connect

Posts by JeDeeLenae

Quote: Originally Posted by Draupadi Futurmama, giving out info is not bad. You can only pass it along and hope that she takes something from it. My aunt visited the other day and asked me sort of passive-aggressively, "Aren't you doing it (breastfeeding) too long?" DS is almost 2 so you know the pressure is on. Even my mom is starting in. When DS comes to me and asks for it, she'll chime in, "No, no William. No nee-nee!" and I have to correct her. I...
welcome Yinsum! futurmama8~ like the other ladies said, your knowledge of recommendations is just as important for these other ladies to know regardless of your parenting status. I hope they think about it and realize that they need to be more knowledgeable about bfing.
Quote: Originally Posted by Bloomingstar quick question--have any of you ladies had either or both? I think I am in early stages of mastitis--have what I think is a duct that's BEEN plugged, feeling a bit weak/tired, got chills, haven't eaten the best the past couple days, probably not getting enough fluids..anyway, all the stuff I see talks about there being redness. Whenever I see this redness business I get aggravated because not everyone will be able...
Thanks for the advice. You guys have pretty much echoed my thoughts on it, I just needed outside perspective. I do think it had a lot to do with being lonely and desperately wanting a friend. Thanks again ladies. I'm going to think on it a bit more, but I think I'm going to just leave it alone.
I could really use some advice. Last year, I started hanging out with a mom that I met from diaperswappers. She was on bedrest and I started going to her house almost daily for a few weeks. I helped her out, her daughter, etc. Her daughter stayed at my house for a bit when she was in the hospital. We continued to hang out (I was still pregnant at this time) for a while. So, then I had my baby. She had mentioned wanting to come to the birth, but I wasn't so sure. She...
congrats wiksty!!!
Quote: Originally Posted by eilonwy And I get that. I really do. I will be the first to tell you that being mixed isn't always the easiest thing in the world, but it's true that I don't share the same depth of experience as someone with darker skin, with thicker hair, etc. So: What can I say or do that would be "supportive" without coming off as condescending? Is it even possible, or am I once again relegated to the ranks of "outsider?" I do like point...
Quote: Originally Posted by nnaemeka frustrating? yes. crazy? strange? i think not. symptomatic of a larger painful history of oppression? yes. i mean take a look a any TV show or music video or mainstream film and do you see any natural hair on Black women? those more recent icons w/ natural hair have cut it off! look back to 1920, find any yet? besides Mammy, is Lena Horne rocking it? Dorothy Dandrige? were we not told that our hair in its natural...
Quote: Originally Posted by olliepop Thanks! I really like it. I do a "straw set" with tiny curling rods and so I have tiny tight curls that loosen a little as the days go by. My dh LOVES it. My daughter is happy that we both have "curly" hair and my little guy (2 years old) says, "I like your little hair, Mommy." That's all the reassurance I need. Also, all my white friends love it and my MIL says it's the best hairstyle I've ever had. The only...
Quote: Originally Posted by olliepop A few months ago, I posted a thread about going natural on the Multicultural forum and Purplegirl told me that I should make sure my esteem is intact before taking the plunge. At the time, I didn't know exactly what she meant, but now that I have gone natural, it was like :. When my mother saw my new hair-do (or hair-don't from her perspective) she told me that she didn't like it, it was too "ethnic" for her. It...