or Connect

Posts by DaryLLL

Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie I believe (and someone can certainly correct me if I'm wrong) that the Greek word for siblings is the same as the Greek word for cousins. Matthew 13:53-57 And when Jesus had finished these parables, he went away from there, and coming to his own country he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, "Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works? Is not this the...
All right, one more point. You've got an Oxford Annotated? Look at the introductory essay to the Letter to the Romans, called the summation of Paul's theology. It says in that day, before GMark was even written, there was an anti-Jewish trend amongst "Christians", already, even before the "gospels" were written. How long would a Jewish community identify with a cult that was against them from pretty much the start of the movement?
Quote: Originally Posted by captain optimism So-- if Christianity was always for the gentiles, why would Paul want to make Jesus Jewish? What's with the whole Jewish angle? Just because Paul was Jewish? It's hard to make sense of why he would want to introduce the mitzvot into the mix, if this was a purely gentile movement. Read this book: The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity, written by a late Jewish scholar, Hyam Maccoby. ...
The book says Jesus has sisters and brothers. As I understand it, Catholics hold that they are Joseph's children by a former marriage (stepsiblings of Jesus'), while Prots say they are full bros and sisters. The Catholics want her to be an eternal virgin b/c of the emphasis on the superiority of chastity/virginity in the writings of Paul. The idea of a god impregnating a human woman is a common pagan idea. http://www.entheology.org/POCM/pagan...gin_birth.html
Quote: Originally Posted by animus_silvae Ok. Dh would say I'm off on my hippie b.s. now so I better stop. I'm not a hippie btw...hehe Yeah, right.
Here's a completely different thought. Did you know there is a theory called the Mythical Jesus? It is in opposition to the Historical Jesus camp. The idea is that, Paul, who is the first "Christian" (altho he did not use this term, as it was not invented yet) to write about this Iesous Christos, did not have in mind an actual historical flesh and blood man. In order to understand this, keep in mind half of the books in the bible attributed to Paul were not written by...
Quote: Originally Posted by abimommy's KJV "He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24) The KJV is by far the worst, most inaccurate translation of the Hebrew Bible. Here is the Revised Standard Version: Quote: Pro 13:24 He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him. Let's take it in context, shall we? Read the whole...
I have a 20 yo dd. She said "ki'y" for kitty at 7 mos and clearly said "kitty" by 9 mos. She was purposely calling dh and me "Daddy" by 10 mos. She said 4 words sentences by 15 mos. It might've been earlier, but I remember it at 15 mos, b/c we were on a Boston to NYC plane chock full of male commuters, and she said, "I wanna nurse!" quite loudly. Her pronunciation was always crystal clear, never garbled. She knew the alphabet and the sound each letter made by 18...
Quote: Originally Posted by deeporgarten In my opinion, being highly gifted in artistic areas is an intellectual gift, as are intuition and other things. While they are not typically measured in quantifiable ways, I think that they fit just fine under the sticky. I agree. Except when you get into catergorizing things as "rather clever," "highly/extremely gifted," "general proficiency." In art, it's often a matter of taste and fashion whether...
Quote: Originally Posted by eilonwy Again and again... Listen, before you talk about how exclusive and elitist this forum is, try STARTING THE THREADS you're so concerned about. If all you get is spam saying, "That doesn't belong here," then come back to this and say, "I really think that the sticky needs to be changed to reflect X." Until you've actually tried to do what you're claiming can't be done, I don't see how you can know that it wouldn't...