or Connect

Posts by DaryLLL

As a PP wrote, in Contra Celsum, written in 248 C.E. (some 800 years before Rashi), the church father Origen wrote that learned Jews contemporary with him interpreted Isaiah 52-53 as referring to the entire nation of Israel. Quote: Originally Posted by Origen I remember that once in a discussion with some whom the Jews regard as learned I used these prophecies [Isaiah 52:13-53:8]. At this the Jew said that these prophecies referred to the whole...
Quote: Originally Posted by joesmom The woman just lost her son... I can't believe the shallowness of some of these posts. I think it is lovely that she is named in honor of her brother. Not AFTER him, he was Daniel & she is Dannielynn, it is similar but not the same. I think that is a very sweet thing. I feel so bad for Anna- to have such a wonderful thing be followed so closely by tragedy. I can't imagine how she is coping at all. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by eilonwy DaryLLL; I don't count now? I post to that thread all the time.... : On another thread, you said you are not observant, so I am not quite sure of your postition on things.
Jane, I refuted many of your so-called proof texts in posts 214-219. As well, the uncredited quote you just posted above-- care to tell us what you think it means?
Quote: Originally Posted by BelovedBird Huh? That is just it, The torah doesn't change and there was no "interpretation". There was oral torah, that they were starting to forget. What you wrote has nothing to do with judaism. I don't believe this is the case, historically. Mystically, yes. Again, I am not writing about "Judaism" as you may believe in it, per se. And I think that is about the 5th time I have said that. It is becoming tiresome....
This post was left behind on the other thread: Quote: Originally Posted by merpk And I repeat, as I've posted before: The fact that many Hebrews/Jews were idol worshippers and were not behaving as the Torah instructs does *not* mean that Judaism/the Hebrew belief system was ever nonmonotheistic. It just means lots of Jews/Hebrews were behaving badly. By Torah law, that is.
Tell me more about your closet.
Quote: Originally Posted by BelovedBird No, it didn't and that why there are arguments in the mishna. The mishna was written down for the very fact that the chachamim (wise ones) decided that it was being forgotten, so they wrote it down. Including their disagreements (discepancy in rememberance). Whether teffilin is like this or like that is a valid torah discussion. The idea that "totafot" meant Hashem gave us a word and meant for us to decide for...
Quote: Originally Posted by mom2seven I think right there you miss the entire point. "Looking up the Hebrew version" really isn't that enlightening. Most of the Jewish understanding is based on the oral tradtion as recorded in the Talmud and responsa. I will point out that even those who rely on textual criticism still turn these sources first and take them into consideration when studying a topic. I see where the disconnect here is then. I...