or Connect

Posts by DaryLLL

Quote: Originally Posted by aisraeltax WRT Reform Judaism, I believe this is a gross misunderstanding of its origins. A movement that began in large part to assimilate with other cultures is not necessarily one that is based on "rationalism and the scientific method". On many occassions, it has signified the beginning of the end of a culture, race, or other sect. Please don't take this the wrong way, I identify with Reform Judaism more than any...
Quote: Originally Posted by BelovedBird Because what you are saying and claiming is laughable, in light of "modern scholarship" like iggros moshe. Just TRY and tell me that I am not even allowed to use the name of BOOKS if they are hebrew! It wasn't capitalized. I could not tell if it was a term, a name, a book or what. Rabbi Moshe Feinstein - (1895 - 1986), New York City, leading halachic decisor of his time and a foremost leader of...
Quote: Originally Posted by BelovedBird What I mean by that, is that this "discussion" is ridiculous. You telling me what you learned in your english bible, based on study by who knows who (noone jewish. I'm sure)... Wrong. Jews are involved in the translation and interpretation of the Oxford. When there is a C'ian interpretation made of the Hebrew Scripture, it is noted as such. Quote: to INFORM ME of what Judaism is about. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by BelovedBird FYI, "the oxford" insn't torah, so what it says is irrelevant to judaism. The Oxford gave us some useful cross references as to what the use of ark of the covenant was described in various verses in the scriptures. You are free to look these up in the Hebrew version should you desire.
Quote: Originally Posted by BelovedBird Such as not using "old fashioned" hebrew in services, having music and choirs. Not having different accents or appearances than the surrounding culture, etc. As CO said, asthetics. The changes brought about by the enlightenment were the jews leaving the ghettos and mingling with the outside world. Your claim that they were something else doesn't make it so. Wikipedia says nothing about the aims of the...
Quote: Originally Posted by BelovedBird That is what you claim, that the keruvim represent a "seat". I'd like to see that in OUR sources. Here it is in English. You can look up the word that translates into English as mercy seat, or alternatively, cover. Quote: Exd 25:17-22 Then you shall make a mercy seat of pure gold... And you shall make two cherubim of gold... [place them] on the two ends of the mercy seat... The cherubim...
Quote: Originally Posted by BelovedBird To be more specific the Reform movement of judaism was founded after the enlightenment led to the opening up of the ghettos, with the jews learning modern things... Modern "things?" Such as... from wiki Quote: Conservative Judaism... developed in Europe and the United States in the 1800s, as Jews reacted to the changes brought about by the Enlightenment... What were the aims of the...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamaverdi Actually Penelope, I think this tangent is very pertinent to the topic. : The OP can now see one of the things that Jews have faced throughout history and continue to face: non-Jews believing they know more about Judaism than Jews themselves. I resent you casting that aspersion on me. I do not say I know more than the Jews about current Judaism. I have been studying the history of the ancient Hebrews and...
Quote: Originally Posted by flminivanmama I post to almost all these threads (or at least read them) and I am not Orthodox. hi minivan. No, I do not see you post all that much. And I also rarely see zaftigmama here.
Quote: Originally Posted by BelovedBird I don't know what she meant to say, but what difference does it make, if it doesn't refer to you? I am interested in it. I like to learn about religion. You'll just have to be satisfied with that. She said "idol." So did C-O. You said the correct term is "other" as in, other gods. You seem to think that Torah only claims the ancient Hebrews were wrong b/c they worshiped other gods. I provided text from...