or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by DaryLLL

Quote: Originally Posted by merpk And you yourself post that "you never said otherwise" in response to c'o pointing out that Judaism has always been monotheistic despite the bad behavior of many Jews. So why do you keep arguing this point with me when you just told c'o that "you never said otherwise"? Obviously, you say otherwise regularly, which is why I keep posting the response to it. I think there is confusion here. I do not deny Judaism...
Quote: Originally Posted by BelovedBird No. It didn't. The wanting not to be different from the people around them, and to be "modern" and not "backward" caused the creation of the reform movement. Well, being "modern" would imply, at least in part, relying more on rationalism and the scientific method, ie: historical critical ideas like the doc. hypothesis theory. Thanks for the info about Conservatism. I will look into that.
Quote: Originally Posted by BelovedBird How was "it used"? Where does the english phrase used here appear in the torah? Avodah zara means "other (as in stranger/ different) worship". Not "idol worship". Ah, thanks for that. Earlier merpk said Quote: Originally Posted by merpk The fact that many Hebrews/Jews were idol worshippers... If she meant to say, "other worshippers," I find that inoffensive and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruthla When the Torah was given on Mount Sinai, shortly after the Exodus from Egypt. I don't give a what the evidence points to, when those doing the looking are disregarding the fundamentals of Torah. I AM familiar with the "documentary hypothesis" and I reject it completely. I'm not interested in any "evidence" disputing the divinity of the Torah. To me, the Torah is a sacred text, not an artifact. OK, fine....
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruthla There have only been 2 Temples. The first built by King Solomon and the 2nd when the Temple was rededicated (as recalled by the Hanukkah observances.) If there was an idol of Ashera and "male sacred prostitutes" lived there, then that WASN'T Judaism! From a Jewish POV, that would be the Temple being desecrated. It is interesting to try to determine when "Judaism" really began. When do you think it...
Quote: Originally Posted by captain optimism Yes but--we don't care. I mean, yeah, I care to learn about it because it's interesting. I also care because it interests me how humans attempt to understand the ineffable, and then write what they think they know. Quote: But it has only the most marginal relevance to Judaism. Judaism is a monotheistic religion even if our ancestors were polytheists who worshipped idols and offered...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruthla I'm a little bit confused by DarryLLL's posting of all that stuff disputing the divinity of the Torah. The Written Torah was never intended to be read, much less studied, without the Oral Torah alongside it. All these "Biblical and Historical Scholars" are looking at the Written Torah alone, so none of their findings have any validity to Torah Observant Jews. Ruthla, if you take a look at the lecture series I...
I don't worship the images, no. I thought that I made that clear. People do not worship images. They worship/are devotees of the dieties the images represent. So, the use of the term idol worship, altho used in the Hebrew Scriptures (Eng trans) is inaccurate and ethnocentric. It was used to demonize Asherah devotees. I think we have discussed this before, BB, and you apologized for your use of the term, which I remember appreciating. I do not worship, for example, the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Potty Diva With all do respect, unless followers of these other religions come forth I find it a little presumptuous that you would assume the term "idol worshippers" to be insulting, not being of those "other" religions yourself. I actually find speaking for the followers of other religions insulting. I could never presume what another thinks or feels on a certain topic until they reveal it to me. PD, I do have...
Quote: Originally Posted by captain optimism Nu, Darylll! Isn't this a thread to ask questions of practicing Jewish people about our traditional beliefs? What do you mean, "that is your traditional belief and you are welcome to it"? The traditional belief is the point of the thread! I think that I am confused about terms. This thread is for "practicing" Jews, not just for the Orthodox, correct? So, the POVs of practicing Reform Jews, for ex,...
New Posts  All Forums: