or Connect

Posts by ladle24

Bicycle!  Almost two years ago, we bought a Yuba Mundo cargo bike to haul our 6 and 8 year old boys around on, as well as groceries and whatever else. Our 9 year old can keep up with us on his own bike. The first year, we biked 3 seasons in Chicago. Then last year, after I got pregnant with our 4th child, we decided to take the plunge and sell our car, and NOT buy a minivan, since we wouldn't be able to fit the whole family in the car anyway.   Now we no longer have...
When my boys were little, the biggest money saver turned out to be making their cloth diapers from recycled/discarded clothing. When my first two children began to wear out their purchased cloth diapers, I started making them.  Now that we have another child on the way, I would love to win some, as I do not have much time to sew anymore! To go along with these, I also made cloth wipes out of old receiving blankets.
Thanks so much for that idea- it may prove very helpful to us. Elizabeth
I know this sounds strange, but I started swaddling my youngest when he was a newborn b/c he had a very strong startle reflex. The thing is, he never outgrew being swaddled, and now he is almost 2 years old. At this age, he can get out of being swaddled, but he likes being “wrapped up” as we call it, and I am not sure how to “wean” him of being swaddled. DH says it is time for him to learn to sleep without being swaddled, and he is probably right, but I am dreading some...
Quote: Originally Posted by valeria_vi I intervewed Jewel 2 years ago for a hb and to be perfectly honest, both dh and I thought that she was too medical and too panicy. I think they were just starting out at the time and wonder if things changed. I do see many positive reviewes for them on the Chicago hb meetup board. I do agree-Jewel has a much more "professional" air about her. I was much more comfortable with Jenn, and am glad she delivered...
Quote: Originally Posted by valeria_vi There are several CNMs around the Chicago area. Sarah Simmons, Diane Bajus-Abderhalden, Jewel Meada and Jennifer (forgot her last name) from A Woman's Place. That is a start, right? Thinking about it, I don't think that Jewel and Jennifer would take you for a hb as a vba2c, but I don't know about Diane and sarah. Definitely worth checking them out. Then there's a couple of lay MWs out there, but really a couple....
I use that to fuse appliques to fabric before machine appliqueing. I wonder if that would fuse the 2 layers of PUL together so that they didn't come apart? It's like $.25/yd at Walmart, I think. Elizabeth
Quote: Originally Posted by curly_mommy Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to decide between the Chloe Toes and Darling Diapers patterns, so I loved your mini-review, monkey4mama. I'm not a huge fan of all the designs on Robeez, but I really like overall shoe style. You are right, the pattern is a lot more than I usually pay for patterns (Joann's $1.99 sales...) but I figure it's still less than one pair of Robeez, so I might try it. Still...
Quote: Originally Posted by SamanthaLizK I second the non DWR, and I serge my covers together before attaching gussets! I love making mine with gussets for newborn mecomium and bf poo! Also it's more comfy to reinforce the snaps and sandwich it inbetween the PUL and the outer material. Hope that helps! Hi SamanthaLizK- It's me again. I was thinking about the diapers I am making, and how to get them to better fit my kids, who are all very...
That's a lot of diapers!