or Connect

Posts by Lillianna

Personally, I'm very orthodox Montessori on letting children develop at their own pace and develop their own interests.  Some children are still in a very creative stage at this time and stressing academics can interfere with their personal identity.  My daughter was much the same, she struggled with learning her sounds, was a late reader and getting frustrated.  However, this year, she is taking off.  She is in 3rd grade.  I know it's hard as a Mother.  It was for me, I...
It's not entirely true to say that Montessori doesn't encourage imaginative play.  She left the child free to explore, free to move, free to choose activity, free to associate, free to talk - this absolutely involves imagination.  However, it is not of the "Disney" or Fairy variety of imagination.  You are just starting to scratch the surface on this.  Montessori had a complicated view of development and you really can't reduce it to an absolute statement like...
On this issue, I like to refer to this quote:   "There is no limit to the equipment of the “Children’s Houses” because the children themselves do everything. They sweep the rooms, dust and wash the furniture, polish the brasses, lay and clear away the table, wash up, sweep and roll up the rugs, wash a few little clothes, and cook eggs. As regards their personal toilet, the children know how to dress and undress themselves. They hang their clothes on little hooks,...
There are many wonderful Montessori Mamas on MDC so definitely post here with specific questions! I love the Michael Olaf catalogs for descriptions of theory and materials for the youngest child: The Joyful Child and for 6+: Child of the World http://www.michaelolaf.net/ Also Aline Wolf's work is very accessible: http://www.parentchildpress.com/awolf.php The AMI website has very nice articles online and also if you get a membership, their periodicals are great. Good Luck!
Hi physmom! For cutting, start with something rather soft - bananas, cheese, tofu. You can use a regular table knife, my dd had a set of child-sized tableward, so we just used that little knife when she was very young. You can also use a plastic knife or there are a variety of cutters (wooden handle and squared knife) available (m. olaf, m. services) When my dd was around 3 and 4, she loved to cut potatoes, pour oil and spices on them and bake them for a side...
I received a pm from another mama who requested my file from the Montessori at Home Consultation that I offer, and I decided to post it here as well.  Keep in mind, the more independent the child can be, the better because he is using his own muscle coordination and building muscle strength and that is, in turn, creating and building synapses in his brain!!  In addition to this list, there are many  practical life exercises that would be great to do at home as well. ...
The Montessori environment provides a structure that the children can move through as they are ready but this is sometimes decided by the Guide or Directress and partly decided by what the child gravitates toward.  There are certainly 3 year olds who are interested in numbers.  I agree with the above that there shouldn't be an overly firm or threatening manner in relating this to the children - this should be part of their first introduction to the classroom.  There...
This is great, sbarr!!  You have also discovered the sensitivity of children to grace and courtesy movements at this age, like you do when wiping your noses.  It's neat the way you are working the fine motor skills into the care of self activities.  The folding fabrics, which is an early practical life exercise, is a preparation for geometry and fractions as well as care of environment/household activities. I think Sora was describing the polishing wood or silver exercise...
Whenever you are introducing a household or classroom procedure to a child, try for a matter of fact attitude and model the procedure yourself, the child will eventually follow.  It helps in the classroom to have all the other "little teachers" to reinforce the procedures.  But this is what makes our community flow.  So, you will likely have procedures that you will want to have in place at home as well to make your family life run smoothly, like hanging coats by the...
This is specifically for exercising the pincer grip in preparation for holding a pencil. Because children at this age are in a "sensitive period" for order, they are attracted to specific fine motor manipulation and exercise and so, they practice this over and over without coercion, pleading, etc.  It is a natural desire of the young child to perfect their hand movements and so we give them specific exercises that lead to skills they will need in life, like...