or Connect

Posts by phillychiquita

Stacy, dont have a name for you, but wanted to say that 1) I can sympathize with your desires and 2) we have had great luck finding AP nannies by using sitter city (www.sittercity.com). The best and most wonderful ones, I have found, have been graduate students, and the easiest of easy was to have them come to my home and take care of my daughter at our home. In my ad postings, I was very very specific about the kind of person I was seeking, and about what kind of...
1) Turn the hot water heater temp up ahead of time -- we didn't have enough hot water for the birth tub and had to boil big pots of water, cart them up stairs to get it just right 2) Stock up on depends, maxi pads and really raw honey. A Tablespoon of the really raw honey on a maxi pad helped healing and was so so soothing on my slight tear and perineum. I think I went through 5 jars of honey in the first 4 weeks, I'll have plenty around this next time. 3) Stock up...
You'll really be out in the burbs on city ave -- its like Bala Cynwyd/ Belmont area, so you will have to take a highway to get into the city so you may want to look at some of the restaurants out closer to your hotel just to make it easier for you with the kids. Keep in mind that if you ride the ducks, that's old city/historic district, and the Please touch is clear out in Fairmount Park, 20 mins from the ducks, closer to your hotel. So you might want to do the ducks in...
yes of course. And she survived. I dont know many family bedders who haven't had a kid fall off the bed. The best way to avoid is skip the bed frame and put the mattress right on the floor during this time in your family's life.
We went through this a few weeks ago, and we did nighttime diapers too and during day went back into cloth training underpants. What seemed to help was this: I also asked her what were some ideas we could try to help her remember to use the potty, and together we made up a big list of ideas. We agreed on 1) she'd like me to get a little potty for the downstairs (we dont have a first floor bathroom) and 2) go back to giving rewards (Smarties or M&Ms) for each time she...
Places I know that sell Raw Milk in PhillyGreen Aisle Grocery, South Philly Fair Foods Farmstand, Reading Terminal Market Greensgrow farm in Fishtown section New little grocery (Called Healthy Bites I think) at 27th & Christian DiBruno Brothers
I made a polenta lasagna as a labor project, and the midwives were grateful. I also had coffee, etc... but as I was in labor a long time, my mom made a run to the store for snacks, and wine (for herself). I used Depends undergarments, and regular maxi pads. They seemed just fine to me and did the trick. My midwife also had me get Really Raw Honey (pure raw honey) before the birth. After the birth, after icing and washing, she had me apply a tablespoon of the really...
I live here in Philly and used to live in old city -- have almost never seen coupons for the museums like Constitution Center but I would stop at the Visitors Center (right on 6th & Market Sts, in front of the constitution center) and check with them when you arrive - the people there would know where to point you for budget/bargains, or, if there are coupons, they would have them. The Liberty Bell, Independence Hall are free and there is now great playground for the kids...
I had my first at home. Go to the prenatal appointments with a homebirth midwife and then go to an OB and it reminds you why you are choosing homebirth - its drastically different. During the birth, its a private, respectful event, and you'll be thankful for the peace of having chosen homebirth. I will also tell you that the postpartum experience of having my baby, being tucked into bed with her and my husband and being LEFT ALONE, with no fear mongering, lots of...
Aw mama, I feel for you. This stuff can be really hard. Here is my advice. Search high and low for the person who shares your values, who you click with, who honors your parenting choices and who will love that baby as much as anyone could. They are out there, and you will find one if you keep looking, and especially if you stay open to seeing them - sometimes they are to be found where you would least expect. When I had to put my DD into the care of someone else, it...