or Connect

Posts by Emmeline II

My son was born on Elmendorf AFB in the early 2000s and there was no pressure to circ.   I was pressured to get the Rhogam shot; I didn't consent though I was shaking a bit afterwards as an airman having a showdown with a Colonel. Even though my husband is Rh-, it was implied that I could be lying about his parentage .
I haven't been here in a long time but I found this sitting in my mail box from long ago from HarperRose.   Kassandra Levay Non-Attorney Advoate Educational Consultant Office: 210-226-8101 Cell: 210-379-8692 Email: levaykord@gmail.com
My son just started a social skills group; one of the boys is taking Vayarin after having been on medication (Concerta, I think) that didn't work well for him. She seems happy enough with the results.   When I did a search for Vayarin this thread was one of the top five results .
If your dd is/has been receiving chemo a consequence can be ADHD like behaviors. I've seen a couple of posts from parents in similar situations on an ADHD parent board I frequent; ADHD medications are often tried but may not be as effective in this situation as the cause of the behavior (how the brain is affected) is different.   Here is a google search for "ADHD children chemo...
My ds is skinny (as opposed to dd who I'd just call slim) and he is a grazer. I also see what a lot of children at their school bring for lunch and my children bring it up from time to time.   I see that the "big breakfast" idea keeps coming up as if it is "the" solution. My 6yo dd has never been an early breakfast eater, it gives her a tummy ache; actually we are all like that, but dd is the "worst." It is a challenge to have her eat enough that her stomach isn't...
You could try contacting speech language pathologists in your area and see if you can find a social skills group for teens; I had my 8yo in a group this summer and would have continued if traffic didn't make it not doable during the school year.   I also recommend the books of George T. Lynn; you may want to start with Genius!
  When ds was in K we started seeing a family therapist who wanted to play "wait and see" and discourage us from seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist. Had an evaluation with an OT who worked with ASD children and suggested we might want to evaluated for it and explained why (we were already on that path). Then saw a psychiatrist who diagnosed ADHD but not concerned about Asperger's. Several months later ds had a comprehensive evaluation at a developmental clinic at...
Could be either. Though they may deal with students with disabilities they may not be familiar with your child's medical condition and relevant/legal accommodations.   I don't know where you are in the process but I would recommend: Read the federal regulations (IDEA, Section 504) and state law and determine how the law applies to your child/child's medical needs. Make your request in writing; include the applicable law, response deadlines determined by law,...
  My dd had an  issue last year in K with a girl who would tell other children not to play with dd (some listened some didn't) and would seek out dd and inflict other "mean girl" behavior. There were actually several "bullying" children in her class, but the remaider banded together and supported each other. Suddenly, two months before the end of the school year the "mean girl" stopped being mean , and this year they got along fine until she moved.   My ds (who is a year...
  Get on the waiting lists, stuff happens! There is a mom of a girl in dd's class who found out on either the first day of school or orientation a week earlier that her "home" school (regular public) cancelled her dcn's registrations because they supposedly heard from another school that the children would attend there--that afternoon she got a call from our school (a charter with a long waiting list) and was offered spots for her children.