or Connect

Posts by Emmeline II

You could also do some reading on sensory issues, "Raising a Sensory Smart Child" comes to mind; you could also search the Special Needs board.   Another thing to consider is consulting with an speech therapist; they may have some ideas that would help her communication or at least help you feel like you're not on your own. An OT could help with possible sensory concerns.
  The reality is that the school is in violation of the law  and has a history of doing so.   Our special education law has procedural protections for parents/children and remedies (mediation, due process) but if the school is determined to be "uncooperative" it can be a long, hard road. If and how to fight is up to the OP.   An IEP is in place (which means the school already agreed to its provisions) and the school is legally required to follow it to provide FAPE (free...
Another option is to find a private school that is willing to follow her IEP and give her current school written notice of your intent to enroll her in a private school at public expense.   Procedural Safeguards, Parent Notice with Resources ... - Wrightslaw     Wrightslaw Success Stories - How I Won a Private Placement by ...   Alert! Appeals Court Upholds Four Years of ... - Wrightslaw   "Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy" "Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd...
  Or neither; the school district may be uninformed (it happens...a lot) and the doctor only has partial information (the school can accept a private evaluation in lieu of conducting their own evaluation--but generally don't.   ESY (extended school year services) is a separate issue than a comprehensive evaluation. Services (therapy, school) over the summer are ESY. Though I don't think that what the school said was entirely correct (my understanding is that you would...
I wouldn't solely rely on what school/district employees tell you; even if they have good intentions they can give you bad information. My school's otherwise helpful resource teacher told me that I wasn't allowed to see my ds' comprehensive evaluation until it was presented at the IEP meeting; when the LSSP told her that she would e-mail me a copy, the resource teacher still thought that it was due to her personal policy; when, in actuality, federal law allows (when...
I used to believe the same thing about my son and anxiety, down to him not caring if I sent him home with a stranger; then when we did the hospital eval when he was 6yo 11mo we found that things that didn't look like anxiety to us, were manifestations of anxiety--such as when ds would "freeze up" and refuse to move/communicate.   My ds has always made eye contact, but it was fleeting; he looked in your eyes, then looked away, then looked in your eyes again (repeat). Also,...
 Quote:   Kindergarten and 1st grade classrooms often have an in-class bathroom w/sink in addition to the larger hallway bathrooms (I assume this is due to the frequency young ones may need to use the toilet, have toileting issues, and need closer supervision). The public elementary schools in my area also have a second sink outside the bathroom.

My dd (NT) seemed to whine and cry constantly at 4/5yo; it reduced greatly once she was in school and has returned again since school has ended. She also trips/falls a lot but that doesn't seem to be unusual at this age; it's not as often as it used to be though. She will often complain about being tired but that seems (for her) to be another word for bored. If there is something interesting to do (a neighbor to play with or a trip to the pool) she is suddenly energetic....