or Connect

Posts by Emmeline II

Wrightslaw calls this the "Columbo Strategy" .
  It happens. I'm glad my ds had the teacher he did for 1st because the other teacher would not have been a good fit personality-wise. Ds (who has ADHD/Asperger's) was a bit traumatized by K at a different school (a whole other story); the other 1st teacher seemed more "particular" about things, whereas his teacher was more "organized chaos" and flexible which worked better for ds overall. My dd would do fine with either teacher and actually has ds' 1st grade teacher now.
  If you are just operating on the information the school/district provided you I'd track down the specific law that addresses this.   Try searching Wrightslaw.com for "homeschool". I'd also find your states law on special education (they have some flexibility in implementing federal regulations but there are limits), and the states document for parents on procedural protections.   You could also search for homeschooling organizations in your state and see what they have...
    Each and every school will be different, even within a district; you can't generalize about public schools, private schools, or even Montessori schools. And within a school there can be good and bad teachers and administrators.   I'm a schooling mom now but when my ds was very young I was briefly part of homeschooling group in my city which has a lot of options for homeschoolers. My ds went to K in a new school in an Exemplary district and the experience was dreadful....
  I'm not sure as to 'why' her body it trying to stimulate itself into staying awake. I have this problem (and ADHD); I'll be sooo tired but as soon as I get into bed my mind won't shut down--the melatonin helps with that. You could review some articles on sleep hygiene and see if there are adjustments you can make. If the co-sleeping is inconsistent you may need to make it full time or cut it completely--even if she likes it, sleeping with others may be disturbing her...
She'll likely be placed according to her age (schools seem to hate doing otherwise) and given extra help to get her up to speed.   Will she be going into 3rd or 4th grade? My ds just started third and it doesn't seem to me that your dd is that behind if it's 3rd. If you are able you could consider something like Mathnasium; we did that for the summer to work on ds' weak areas but plan on taking advantage of after-school tutoring during the school year.   I...
I got the reference but I haven't been through it; I can only recommend visiting wrightslaw.com if you haven't already.  
Psychosis is defined as "a serious mental disorder (as schizophrenia) characterized by defective or lost contact with reality." Psychosis is an end-stage condition arising from a variety of possible causes. Anti-psychotic drugs control the symptoms of psychosis, and in many cases are effective in controlling the symptoms of other disorders that may lead to psychosis, including bipolar mood disorder. ADHD is not psychosis and ADHD medications are not anti-psychotics....
Generally, the school needs your permission to do a special education assessment (like Conners for ADHD). To figure out what they may and may not do I would go to your state department of education website and look for a document for parents with "procedural protections" in the title; Wrightslaw.com is a good website to get answers to these types of questions also.   My ds does have ADHD and trying to make him sit for circle/carpet time resulted in stimming and other...
  Though we did receive a really helpful evaluation from an OT once, it was only an intermediary step while we waited for a more comprehensive evaluation at the children's hospital clinic; there ds was evaluated by a developmental behavioral pediatrician, a speech-language pathologist, a psychologist, and a social worker.   You could do OT in the meantime but there may be other options; around here there are OTs and STs that travel to you, as well as the...