or Connect

Posts by Emmeline II

I just want to clarify that grades are not the determining factor in qualifying for an IEP.   .
I washed my feather comforter years ago; it's not as fluffy and evenly distributed as it once was but it's still comfy.  
  Central Florida Parent Center - Ten Mistakes Parents Make During ...   They are required to consider outside evaluations but they do not have to accept them in lieu of doing their own, but they actually need to conduct an evaluation with the appropriate tests. They are also required by Federal regulation to give you the evaluation prior to the IEP meeting (with enough time to read it; generally considered 3 days) if you request it; your state law may have additional...
  I pm'd you a bunch of links and there are a couple of ADHD medication threads from this past year on the board. If she hasn't been evaluated for learning disabilities yet, I agree that is something that should be attended to. Frequently ADHD children have a co-morbid issue like a LD, and sometimes a LD is mistaken for ADHD.   You don't have to medicate just because it is suggested or prescribed, but I wouldn't just dismiss the suggestion because you don't want to "go...
    I would say that "normal" six year olds don't have tantrums like this.   This actually sounds quite a bit like my ds before he started medication for ADHD. For my ds', the violent tantrums (with "amnesia") ended immediately, and what was left over that first year was laying on the floor and kicking his hands and feet a bit instead. Now, occasionally he'll just lay on the floor if he gets that worked-up. Ds' anxiety gradually decreased as well; at first it would take...
I agree with pp that two weeks isn't a fair evaluation period and it would have been a good idea to establish what would be the evaluation period before she started school. But I wouldn't pull her out after two weeks just because you didn't establish the trial period ahead of time; I'd go with something like staying for 3 months/1st quarter.
  I'd start by asking the diagnosing doctor for recommendations, and any related people like OTs and STs you work with who may know someone. Working off your insurance list may not work because of things like 1) a provider may have one of their offices outside your search radius, as happened with ds' first psychiatrist; 2) a provider may be in the process of getting on your plan and isn't listed yet, as with ds' developmental ped when she went into private practice; 3) a...
Ricky Schroeder .
My ds (going into 3rd) is a very strong reader and likes to read for fun so I don't worry about that. He had a couple math concepts he was struggling with, and his school is a STEM school with a lot of activities focused on that, so he's doing Mathnasium this summer twice a week for an hour.   In the morning he does about 30min. of work. I have him do a lesson on his Rosetta Stone (if it's very long or he's struggling a lot we break a lesson up into 2-3 days), and...
  This is how it went with my ds as well. I wish he had gotten as much out of it as some children here.   I've never heard a parent story that had an example of sign language actually harming language development. If it could cause a delay, like a pp I would think it would be similar to what happens in a bi-lingual household of 2 or more verbal languages. If if sign-language did cause a slight delay I think I'd rather deal with that than the behavior issues that can...