or Connect

Posts by zansmama

very interested in this topic... I have thought a lot about mumps at least for ds when he is 12 or so... that's the one that I think I would feel just horrible about him getting and then becoming sterile :o  He's only 7 right now, though... so....
I really like the "first book of knitting for children": it has a lot of little animals a dolls to knit...
Oh! this is almost exactly what we were doing in our home! Except we were homeschooling...    I think the important thing is to clearly identify what it is about each approach that you like, and what you don't like. I read a lot about conflicts between the two, and some of my feelings were: I like the importance of fantasy in Waldorf a lot more than the emphasis on literal in montessori;  however I like real work being done by kids in Montessori better than the...
I think I would go more with developmental toys rather than imagination-based toys at this age... I think I would just do some felted balls and playsilks, if it was me. Those were ds's favorite "waldorf-y" toys at that age. Really, they just like rocks and acorns and little wooden bowls to put them in and take them out of... and getting into whatever mama is doing . Maybe a song book? You could get some ideas for songs to sing to your little one...
Okay, I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I'm very excited about it!! We Waldorf-homeschooled ds for kindy and then put him into a wonderful art & development based school. Waldorf-style living is very ingrained in our home at his point, though, and I am just now looking for a book on the second seven years. There are actually a lot of things about anthroposophic views of children that appeal to me, so I may be in the minority here. Just thought I would share how...
We have a special rhythm to being sick (which is about once or twice a year around our house for some reason) Ds (7yo) is set up on the couch next to the window with a blanket and small table near him for a cup of tea, a bell (to ring for mama), and some flowers from the garden(very good for sickness). I go about my daily routine, but if he is feeling well enough, I will do a stand-up puppet story as a special treat, or read for a few hours. Sometimes he likes to play...
LOVE this tribe; this is so us!!! We don't consider ourselves to be poor (okay, dp does ), but part of the "global middle class". We have food, shelter, clothing, electricity... oh yeah, and we spend 1/3 of our teeny-tiny income on private school for ds. No true hardships. We live in a 1 bedroom that we share with ds, and are veggie for mostly economic reasons (so we can buy most of our food at the Farmer's Mkt). And that's it. Our expenses are: rent, school,...
Quote: Originally Posted by voxana I also posted this question in the toddler forum, but I'd also like to hear what you Continuum Concept mamas think about this: My ds, almost one year old, has become more temperamental in the past few weeks. Normally he is cheerful and sweet, but lately with loud, raspy, repetitive grunts he makes demands or protests. Usually in each instance there is a particular object he might want or a diaper change that he...
Quote: Originally Posted by jrose_lee Hey! I'm looking for everyone's thoughts on babies (ds is 5 months) and small pieces/toys. What is everyone's experience with this? Ds1 is 3.5 so we have some smaller toys around now. Is anyone really concerned with baby choking on a small object? There must be some reason for concern or else people wouldn't worry about it? Can I hear thoughts on the safety of letting babies have smaller toys...
We liuke Ruskovilla better (less holes), BUT the sleeveless shirt form Toy Garden has held up very wel... if you have coolish summers....