or Connect

Posts by zansmama

Hey, for sure you should pick him up if he wants you to!!! Of course he is still "just" a baby, and needs a lot of contact: don't get me wrong. But when he is crawling and exploring, I would be hesitant to pick him up. I would let him come to me, or call me. many parents will just snatch up a child who is a little frustrated that he can't grab a toy: when perhaps they should let him keep trying until he gets it. Follow your instincts, though, for sure.
Quote: Originally Posted by Devaya this is really interesting...what i'm wondering is, what to do if most of the things you can do that are NOT child-centred, are incredibly boring? I find I start feeling depressed, bored and unfulfilled if I spend all day doing housework, or indeed, just being around the house. it may improve when we soon move into a house with a garden, bc i look forward to doing some gardening and possibly getting DS involved with that...
i think we have to remember that despite our best efforts, our babies will probably not be completely continuum: our society is just so not continuum at all. I also wondered this about ds: he was in constant motion, always, and I would never have described him as "soft", exactly... however, i really didn't start CC-ing until he was 9 mos, or so, already walking, and not being worn much unless he was sick or teething...
Honestly, the finished work will look very different from what your little one produces... At 19 mos, the emphasis will surely be on the process. Ds is 5, and just barely beyond that phase. He still mostly talks about what "the colors are doing" and not so much about what he's doing with them. Early single color paintings by my ds just pretty much looked like beautiful blue (or yellow, or red) paper. He would paint until the jar was empty.
I don't know if I'd wear a sling myself... Ds would know that it was fake, and might be weirded out... But as far as a sibling goes, by far the best method I have seen is to treat it as though you are getting a new pet: "... and this is your new baby brother, no-one else's, and we have to take really good care of him so he'll grow big and strong to play with you." De-emphasize the "my new baby" and emphasize "new member of our team/family". I've seen this prevent...
I'll try to get pics up: I'm really not computer-savvy... I used green corduroy, brown piping, and little wooden buttons_ they are little sticks and work like toggles. We've had it for over a year, and it holds up great.
I just made the one from The Children's Year. it's adorable!
We live in berkeley, and dp is from Austin TX, and every time we visit, I am appalled at what I perceive as a sort of general lack of respect for children.(not so much in austin really, but in other areas, San antonio for one) I did not grow up around that sort of thing, and most of the people around here are very respectful of and sympathetic toward kids. Now, here folks are far too overprotective on the other hand, whereas ds and his daredevil ways are more accepted in...
Okay, so we have a fun little co-op going once a week, and I need to come up with crafty ideas. The problem is: ds is 5 and has been doing Waldorf-y things for a while, like sewing and etc. And I'm having a hard time thinking up ideas for other kids. Our age range is 3-6. Now, I'm not going to aim at the 3yo's primarily, but hopefully hit somewhere in the middle, difficulty-wise. last week we made little beeswax turtles with walnut shells, and it was perfect ....
woohoo! missing this thread, i am! I've really been working on the expectation thing, and ds is SO responsive! Let me tell you, at 5 years old, i really feel like I'm reaping the benefits of years of CC parenting. Ds is polite, thoughtful, helpful, independent, inventive, and very physical. (okay, polite, thoughtful, and helpful about 80% of the time. ) Dp and I were just talking about this today. We really like our little guy, and enjoy homeschooling him and hanging...