or Connect

Posts by genifer

What an awesome thread! We just took our kids out of school to home educate.  Im getting some pretty groovy ideas here and its spurring my own imagination. I had a look to see how much it would cost to purchase some butterfly eggs and its SO cheap!! Do I need a special cage to hatch them in?
We took our children out of school to hs just about two weeks ago and its been blissful, if Im truthful, it really has. Ive noticed things about my kids I didnt realise before and my older two are just getting right stuck into reading all sorts and they love having the freedom to go out and do what they like, they dont even mind not seeing their friends all day, and at 12yo, that was the most important thing in life for a while. Already Im seeing a change in them. They...
Just subbing bc I was looking for some ideas for this sort of thing too.
  I think it is mostly ignorance. I admit I hadnt heard of Bill Gothard, but I did see an episode or two of the show we're discussing here. What I saw didnt concern me, it wasnt anything to be concerned about. I think about the Amish whose teachings are very out there and I equated the two, with what I knew about the Duggars. Also, the last comment I quoted goes a long way to explain why I personally tend to get defensive when christians are accused of being in a cult....
nm
 I agree with the above poster. Do it in incriments. Leaving her home alone for half hour shopping excursions is a good start. Thats exactly what we did when our oldest were 10 (they are twins). At 11 they start secondary school here and they started walking to/from school on their own at that point. With your first its always hardest, imho. Since my girls started secondary school last year, their younger brother (who is now 11) begged me to allow him to walk to school...
sorry, ot here. journeymom, I just wanted to say I love your avatar... It would apply to my dh who is addicted to the new star wars mmo that just launched.
that is an awesome idea! I dont know if Ill buy the actual journal, but I might steal the idea and make our own. It sounds like such a fun thing to do!    
I suppose, since we dont know the Duggars personally, we're speaking from personal experience and the experiences of what we've witnessed from people we do know irl. I mean, Ill be honest, this thread has given me pause to reflect on my own relationship with my kids. I dont like it when they have a bad attitude, but even before this thread started I was being introspective about it all and I realised they get their bad attitude from ME and dh. Anyway, we're talking from...
Yeah, I wanted to pop in a few times and respond but didnt know what to say. Capps'mom said what I wanted to say, tho. I wanted to ask if anyone would be surprised if the smiles and happiness, and joy was genuine? Do you find it impossible to believe that people can genuinely be full of joy just bc in your experience it was forced?   Im not trying to be nasty. I do know people irl who really know Christ and know how to be 'positive' in all circumstances, I know...