or Connect

Posts by kitchensqueen

Yep, same here. As a Midwesterner it is completely ingrained in my genes that if you don't provide a laden table and a full glass (with refills!) to every guest, you are a Bad Hostess. And there is almost no worse insult to a Midwesterner than being labeled as a Bad Hostess. It's very akin to being ex-communicated.   Sorry to hear - that's sad! How fortunate that she had someone familiar with her during her last moments, and hopefully that she didn't suffer at the...
Okay, I'm finally back! Now that the holidays are over I have time to think again. Some of the stuff we do -  - Make my own soy candles. - Bake bread and other baked goods. - Vegetable garden every year. - I do a bit of sewing, knitting and crochet. As well as embroidery, but that's more decorative. - Cook from scratch as much as possible. - Brew some of our own beer.  My list of things that I'd like to do is huge - I'll have to come back and answer that part later....
 Just this - elevating helps it not stew and makes it more like rotisserie chicken, with a nice skin. Both ways are good though. 
Pulled out the stovetop smoker tonight for mesquite-smoked chicken. Serving with tater tots, cornbread and green beans. Home made barbecue sauce on the side. 
 Yeah, it kind of is right now. I feel bad complaining, because I should be grateful that I have a steady job with some measure of security, and I can provide fully for my family (we're just getting into the spot where we can start saving my husband's income entirely!), but wow - if I don't let out the frustration somewhere, I might explode.  Today was a bit better - I got those bleeping expense reports done, as well as a few other annoying things off my plate, and the...
 We're more or less Norwegian (husband) and Welsh (me) here, but everyone is Irish today! We're having a festive meal here too - crockpot corned beef with cabbage and potatoes, with toasted rye bread on the side to sop up all of the tasty juices. Husband is drinking Guinness, and I'm drinking white wine - a bit out of theme, but hey - it's alcohol, and I don't do much drinking these days. 
 Same here - I cringe at cooking in plastics. I'm okay with using them for cold storage, but heating up plastic releases all sorts of compounds I'd rather not be exposed to. It's a regular habit for us to fill the crockpot with hot soapy water, place the lid on it, and leave it in the sink to soak overnight. Wipes clean easily in the morning!   How could I forget pulled pork!? One of my favorite things ever. We do ours usually with a pork shoulder, and put it in the...
Nice afternoon here -    - Had a nap while Little Man napped (yes I did!). - Planted tomatoes, peppers and peas with Little Man.  - Updated my Smart Gardener plan with the planting dates for the above.  - Put away clean laundry.  - Stopped at another Target to pick up some more canned veggies with my coupons and also found a buy one get one free deal on some cleaning items. Got $30 worth of stuff for less than $10! - Picked up husband from work.  - Baked soft...
Made steaks in red wine, mashed potatoes and green beans for dinner, since husband worked a day shift today. Nice Sunday dinner. 
Quite a bit of running around this morning -    - Stopped at Target to show husband a media console that was 70% off that I wanted, but he wasn't sold on it since it was paper-veneered particleboard. It looked nicer though!  - Ran into Dollar Tree for a couple of papers for coupons, and also picked up some glittered egg plant stakes and some rainbow stickers for Little Man.  - Dropped husband off at work.  - Stopped at Michaels to cruise clearance - found St....