or Connect

Posts by madskye

How far did you get in The Explosive Child? That's the book that worked for us. When the tension/whining starts take a moment and ask your child what they need. Give them a hug and try to slow things down, ask the child tell you what's wrong. The hug, plus the focused attention usually works here. And sometimes when they talk, you do find out that they are stressed or sad about other things. It is very hard, especially with other kids, to take that one moment in the...
Try playing music in the morning...it really helps my DD. We play show tunes!
Hello!  Can anyone help me figure out the steps to getting my daughter diagnosed with dyslexia so that we can arrange a 504 for school next year, 3rd grade?   There is a history of dyslexia in our family. She's been struggling since the end of kindergarten.  Last year, we met with the Child Study Team and they said that because she was progressing she wasn't a candidate for services. Also, they don't specifically test for dyslexia.   I imagine they'll say the same...
Could you reorg her bedroom so there was a few feet of space that you could christen "The Activity Zone" or something similar and do something to make it fun? Like, if she likes to dance put in a mirror (not expensive) or some of those puffy floor tiles that you can get at target? That way, it's a special fun place for her, not a punishment?
I haven't posted in ages, and now I'm doing two in a row about The Explosive Child--but it's a book I'd recommend to you. The idea is to slow down, reconnect, and get her to talk to you about whatever the issues is. She won't put her clothes on, you spiral into tantrum and defiance, the whole morning goes to garbage...sometimes if you can remove the powerstruggle, you can get it done. Sometimes the powerstruggles become the go to reaction for kids. If you've been doing...
If you search on my name, you'lll find a bunch of old posts about tantrums and using The Explosive Child. It really helped us. I haven't needed it in a while, but basically--I don't think there are any consequences, because with the technique you're diffusing the situation before it gets out of control. You're teaching the child that instead of tantruming and getting rude, they should slow down, take a deep breath, accept a hug, and talk about it instead of exploding. ...
I make a loose meal plan for the week, and I plan it with the help of the ads for my local supermarket.  (Not sure if you have anything like that) But it really helps--if I see that sausage is on sale, I'll plan to make sausage and peppers one night.  If chicken's on sale, one night I'll plan for chicken.  I usually plan one meat meal per week, and a few veggie meals.  I do stretch ground meat with black beans.  I think it's actually better that way--the beans are good...
DD just turned 7.  She used to have horrible tantrums, we've pretty much ended those, using the techniques from The Explosive Child, but now I have a really hard time getting her to open herself to listening to me when we have issues.  She is going though tweenie attitude phase, and can be rude.  If I try to talk to her about it, she's dismissive.  Won't listen, rolls her eyes, puts her fingers in her ears, scampers off.  How do you handle this?  I try to tell her that I...
Read The Explosive Child...really helped us. When she starts to melt down, open your arms, give her a hug, and quietly ask her what is going on. It sounds "soft" and it is...but it really helped my daughter (same age as yours) learn to talk and work through her frustrations instead of escalating. It's quieter, too! It will also calm you down instead of getting you more frustrated. And sometimes, you will be surprised sat what she shares about her feelings. Good luck!
Hula hooping?  You can get 99 cent hoops at toys r us or the dollar store here...and then you can send them home as a "favor" instead of worrying about favor bags.