or Connect

Posts by contactmaya

'Bragging' is subjective though.  Here's an example. A friend of mine met us with her two daughters, one was wearing bright pink socks which i thought were cute, and i said so. It instinctive for me to voice a positive impression i might have of someone  i see- as a way  of making conversation.  Thats not bragging, because its not my child. But later, when i put hats on my own two kids, i said ' they look so cute with their hats on ' to my friend. Only later,  did i...
Actually, seeing voila spelled  that way would bug me. I was playing devils advocate and convinced myself not to be bugged!   I still think that there are rules for English,  but those rules are not relevant to non English words. I think its admirable to get the words right, but not necessary. The question remains for me, what qualifies as English? 
I actually think those words are used regularly enough in English, that they would be considered English. So you have misspelled them ;-) Restaurant would be another example. Thats English. Cafe is another one, definitely English even though clearly French in origin. "Voila' on the other hand, is probably used much less and would usually default to its English equivalent, 'here it is', or 'there it is'.  Again, i dont know who decides this. Its probably a matter of...
It raises the question though, what is better for success? The ability to form your own ideas and express them, or the ability to find someone else to do it for you....better still, the ability to navigate technology to serve your purposes.   I always find high earners get other people to do this sort of work for them. Those that can navigate technology to their advantage are even better off. Not that i think its right.    (not trying to be silly, this is something i...
I love peanut butter too much. I just hope that my immune system can deal with the mold.  Btw, its also said that orange juice contains mold.
Im a stickler for correct spelling myself, (although dont care as much about typos) and if writing in French, then i would write 'voila'. But since the person is not writing in French, but in English, it matters less.  English is full of borrowed words from other languages. Thats how languages evolve. But at present, 'voila' isnt considered English. Take for eg, stool-well that  came from German, which is der Stuhl.(which means chair in German) Yet we say 'stool'. We also...
 I was going to say something similar. Unless youre speaking French, its anything goes.
Me too :-). Sigh, this thread was started back when ds2 was only 3 mths old....
good point about legos and magnatiles.....