or Connect

Posts by Marilyn Milos, RN

Greetings, I thought you might like to speak with a couple of our pediatricians before subjecting your baby to surgery. Robert Van Howe, MD, was a consultant to the American Academy of Pediatrics 1999 Task Force Committee on Circumcision. He's done extensive research and has written many articles on the subject. His number is 906-250-4317. Paul Fleiss, MD, is the author of two excellent Mothering articles and, with Frederick Hodges, What Your Doctor May Not Tell...
Thanks for your message, Misty. You've brought an end to circumcision in your own family. It shows that we can grow and change! Bless you for that! I truly appreciate your brilliant idea about having business cards printed and putting them every place you think they might save a baby. We know change is happening one mother or father at a time...and just getting the message out is what's needed. You're another mother who brings me great hope! Thank you for...
To Other Moms of Circumcised Boys, It occurs to me that we are the courageous mothers, we are the ones who are willing to look critically at what we've allowed for our sons, for whatever reason -- the not knowing, the coercion, the pressure, wanting to acquiesce to our husbands, fathers brothers, peers, or simply because we were lied to. We are not unlike the courageous men who look at the scar on their penis and recognize they've lost something that was rightfully...
Thank you for welcoming me to your group. I won't be posting often because my plate is full, but I did want to share in this thread because, if my story saves one mother or baby from suffering, it will be worth it! When I began my work 27 years ago, there were only a handful of us talking about circumcision. (I was the one who wouldn't shut up!) Today, there are so many of us, I don't know everyone anymore. And, I'm always amazed by how much others know. You're saying...
This is the inscription I wrote for my youngest son on a circumcision book that I co-edited: Dear Timothy, You know that, if I could take one thing back in my life of many mistakes, it would be the circumcision of my sons--the gravest mistake of all! It is the pain and trauma inflicted upon you, because I didn't know enough to protect you, that will save untold numbers of other babies from the same suffering. It will never be enough because it won't be you and your...
These are the things you and your husband should know before you let anyone cut off a part of your son's penis. Not one national or international medical association in the world recommends circumcision. Some have begun to recommend against it because they now recognize the harm of this cosmetic surgery performed on non-consenting minors. Circumcision is a primal wound that interferes with the maternal/infant bond, disrupts breastfeeding, and undermines the...