or Connect

Posts by NaturalMamma

Our 10 mo old cat has never had a rabies shot and we don't plan to get one. She is spayed, but we declined the shots and our vet was very cool about it all. I still don't quite know if our state mandates one--I get mixed info from people. She is a very happy and health indoor cat. Our town requires pet licenses and we don't have one of those either. It costs $30 every year. Today I read that our county just made major changes in how is handling the animal control. They...
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move We were also very waldorfy when the kids were little so I know all that stuff, but as my kids have gotten older, they make their own choice. I guess most of that Waldorf-y lifestyle stuck in our home and has become a part of who DD is as an individual.
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move I don't get the "no iPod" thing. If you're referring to my post then I'll explain our family's perspective. Some of our perspective comes from a lot of Waldorf-y experiences we had when DD was little--attending Waldorf homeschooling conferences, reading books, DD participating in Waldorf/nature "classes", etc. One of the first books in my parenting collection was Rahima Baldwin Dancy's "You are Your...
We have an only--an almost 10 DD (and we homeschool). She has played some games online. We don't have an iPod, Wii, XBox, etc. Our cell phone has the bare minimum package of minutes. My DH works for a high tech firm so it's a bit laughable, but we simplty can't handle all that stuff in our life. DD and I are high energy, spirited females and this stuff would be like crack to us. She is very active and always has the need to be "doing something". Mostly she plays outside a...
Quote: Originally Posted by sapientia And it seems that people think since my kids are so bright, it's because I have forced them to learn, or kept them from being kids. Wow! That is a new one on me. Boy, homeschoolers just can't catch a break, can they? The assault on HSing never ceases.
...she may enjoy these books. Recently we discovered a terrific book series and my DD has fallen in love with it. It's called Circle C Adventures and the stories revolve around a girl and her horse in the late 1800's California. And--the author provides free unit study guides on her website! My DD has been having a blast completing the guides. The website also has video "trailers" about each book. It's really a terrific website. Here is the...
Sometimes the most ordinary things can bring a lot of fun for your feline friend. We've recently discovered that our cat (9 mos old) just LOVES to play with pony tail holders. (I'm sure rubber bands would be fun too, but I wouldn't let them play with them b/c of the risk of chewing, etc.) She also thinks the big twisty ties are fun too, but I wouldn't let her play with them unattended b/c eventually they wear down and the wire inside would be dangerous. But she has fun...
Quote: Originally Posted by mommy2maya Why is that SAD??? Why is it BAD to want individual time? If it's not for you, fine, but to denigrate others for choosing to have individual time, well, that's another story. Most people believe it is a GOOD thing for all, parents and children, to foster independence. What I am seeing is overscheduled kids and over-busy parents. Just my opinion, though. But I do know that when I talk to veteran...
I 2nd the idea of reading Raymond and Dorothy Moore's books! Also anything that was written by Ruth Beechick.
Quote: Originally Posted by lach I think the opposite, actually. I can't even imagine my mother coming with me when I went to someone else's house to play as a kid. We didn't call them playdates, but I definitely went over to my friends' houses to play with them for an afternoon. She'd use that time to run errands or do something with my sister and make dinner. Perhaps there is a generational/geographical gap between us. When I was growing...