or Connect

Posts by NaturalMamma

Can someone tell me where the Shabbat ritual ideas came from? Like the 2 white candles, the blessings on the family, challah bread etc. Are there verses in the bible that describe these items? (Something in Leviticus perhaps?) And how did Jesus keep the Sabbath? It would be most helpful if someone could provide me with some verses for how the Sabbath was kept during times before Jesus and times after. TIA
I nursed for almost 4 yrs and never fasted. I would not recommend it because, as I understand it, toxins can be released into your breast milk. another reason to not do any diets, spring cleansing detox, etc. Instead of an actual fast, a person could abstain from chocolate, sweets, etc. or some other way to remind them of their conviction.
I've found this to be an issue since I became pg 10 yrs ago. DH and I did not interpret the "spare the rod" verse the same as other Christian families and we could not imagine leaving our DD to CIO anywhere. So I often felt caught between both worlds. It took time, but eventually I met like-minded families over the years. In the end, though, I had to make my faith a priority and just let others raise their eyebrows about our style of parenting. I have found it...
Our cat (who is technically a kitten since she's only 5.5 mos old) seems to want to go out. Whenever one of us heads out the laundry room door (that leads to the garage) she is making a bee-line for sneaking out. One time she got out into the garage (garage door closed) and under our car. She's always been an indoor kitty. We've had her since she was about 7 wks. She was hand-reared by our vet clinic b/c she was part of a litter that was abandoned on their doorstep at 2...
Quote: Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree I'd be careful about making it a huge issue. There are foods that I dislike eating. I don't buy them to cook at home, I don't order them in restaurants and I would be offended if someone told me I must eat them. Since I have preferences that I like to be respected and honoured, I try to do the same for my children. ITA Our DD has never liked raw tomatoes (she loves cooked tomato sauce and soup, though)...
My DD (9.5 yo) enjoys these online games http://www.girlsgogames.com/games/simulation.html The games I've seen her play seem pretty benign, fun and somewhat educational. I also like these games b/c she can play them without having an account or assigning herself a name. There was a game DD played on AnimalPlanet that enabled her to give herself a name. The kids ended up using that space to "talk" to each other and it got pretty crude, so I nixed that. (DH and I don't...
Quote: Originally Posted by Momily I talk openly about these things with my 10 year old, even though I'm quite confident HE won't be menstruating or breastfeeding any time soon. That's cute! Our DD is 9.5 yo and we've always talked very openly about breast-feeding, body parts, menstruation, and now my impending menopause. DD nursed until she was almost 4 yo and it was all very natural (even though my mom didn't nurse and was hush-hush about...
Our DD is 9.5yo. She has always had healthy eating habits. She nursed until she was almost 4, had home-made toddler food, almost all of our food is organic (dairy, meat, produce, etc), we eat a lot of whole grains...she's never had a McD hamburger. I think her food preferences are still pretty good compared to the non-crunchy population (she likes broccoli, raw peppers, she still likes my recipe of creamed spinach, etc.). But over the course of this past year she's...
Woohoo for you and your DS!
I think the best thing is for you to understand why you are choosing homeschooling (have solid convictions about HSing) and for you and DH to be totally united in this decision. When you have that, there will be no need to sell it/convince your ILs/help them understand. The words will just come naturally and you won't feel stressed about it or guilty, etc. Your confidence will be evident and they will have confidence in you even if they don't understand it all. I hear...