or Connect

Posts by NaturalMamma

We got our sweet kitten about 6 wks ago. At first we kept her in a bathroom set up and dedicated to her as we got her accustomed to the rest of the house (2 floors). At night she sleeps in the bathroom. Right around Christmas we decided to have her sleep with us at night, but she was waking us up in the early morning by biting our nose. So we put her back in the bathroom for the night. She's very content there and doesn't cry or anything. In the morning when I wake up and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dandelionkid Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the perspective. Perhaps school social challenges can be an opportunity to build a childs character but they are certainly not a guarantee or the best way to go about doing it. I like the foundation perspective- build a good foundation so they can manage life problems as they come. If you're really worried about the character-building your child will miss from not...
I think you can get quite a bit of math through games like Monopoly and such. We play lots of card and board games in our house too--DD got a lot from Skip Bo. Even little ones can learn a lot of math through patterns by playing the card game Blink. Yahtzee is a biggie here too. Of course there is math in baking--measuring, weighing, comparing. I think children can learn all the basics of: telling time, adding/sub, multipl/div, measuring, etc. without any curriculum....
I think what you are doing is already great: reading to her everyday. And the fact that she enjoys looking at books on her own shows she has a love for books. You want to nurture that. Keep in mind that everyone has their own personal timetable (potty learning, walking, reading, writing, spelling, etc.) The worst thing you could do is force her to "read" or make it a chore (as opposed to something that evolves naturally). Because if a child is "turned off" from books and...
An article entitled "The Harms of Homeschooling" was written some months back in The University of Maryland's "Philosphy & Public Policy Quarterly". The author, Robin L. West, makes quite a few shocking statements. All HSers should be outraged by such an article. She clearly has an axe to grind against Christians, but, whether you are a Christian or an atheist, this article is downright insulting to all of us homeschoolers. Here is the...
Here is a good web site about nutrition and raw food diets. http://www.catinfo.org/ HTH
We're currently using a clay clumping litter and have just switched to Dr Elseys clay litter b/c our previous one was too dusty. I'll let you know how we like it when I change it over. I'm really curious about the SWheat Scoop or the corn-based ones but am a little concerned about possible allergic reactions to grains. I also wonder about the treatment with pesticdes on the grains. I'm sure clay has its share of issues too. I don't think there is any perfect litter...
I think pet photos are adorable. However, we've decided not to take our kitty to sit on santa's lap b/c of the possibility of picking up something (like fleas and such). Plus I think it could be a little stressful for her with all those other creatures around. We prefer to do our pet photos at home.
I'm so sorry for all you and your family are going through. (((Pookie))) Some resources for you. http://pet-loss.net/index.shtml http://rainbowsbridge.com/ cindi
What are some really nutritious brands of kitten food out there? And what should I look for? We are adopting a kitten this weekend. It all came about serendipitously 2 wks ago and DH and I are elated (we haven't told DD yet--we're going to surprise her!) Some kittens were orphaned on a vet's doorstep and they've been hand-fed. They're 7 wks old now and DH is picking up our little tabby girl on Sat. I've been out of the cat world a good 5 yrs now and there are even more...