or Connect

Posts by Groundhog

Thank you all for taking the time to reply! I picked up some "heavy duty" plastic pins when I was at Lowe's the other day: www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/mega-grip-pegs-67300 and they were fine for the few towels I put out to dry. I think they'd be great for heavier things like bathmats or large towels. Someone pointed me in the direction of Lehman's, a store in Ohio that caters to Amish and others who need products that support non-electric living. www.lehmans.com I...
I finally installed my clothesline yesterday and realized I neglected to buy clothespins! What better way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon than sitting on the porch researching clothespins online? I would prefer wood, but it seems hard to find good quality ones. Some report that the wood can mark the fabric after a while. I'm not opposed to plastic if it's of good quality and will last a long time. I do a LOT of laundry - mostly towels it seems lately. So what...
Thank you so so much, Ellen for your reply! I will investigate further the planes of development that you mentioned. She seems to be in between, but I'll do some reading. My feeling is that she just really isn't quite ready for the whole social society thing that comes with older kids, though I think she'd do fine - why not just wait and make it an easier transition. Plus it's a whole day, instead of half, so there's that part of it. And I had to laught about...
Thank you both for your replies and information! The longer dd is in Montessori the more I realize how little I actually know! The general information sites look like they'll be helpful. I feel like I do have the basic ideas down (I was an elementary teacher for a bit and studied about Montessori) but sometimes I wonder what the reason is behind a particular work she describes (knowing, of course, that there is a good one!). So, Ellen, I may just be sending a few...
She's at the Montessori School of Westminster. We like it and she loves it. I haven't had any experience with other Montessori schools, so I can't really compare, but it's definitely VERY Montessori. The Headmistress has been there for a long time and is very devoted to what is best for the kids and to making it a true Montessori school. I've heard good things about The Montessori School in, I think, Towson?
Dd (5) is in her first year of Montessori. She'll often start explaining excitedly about a lesson she had that day and most of the time it makes sense. Sometimes, though, her descriptions are lacking and I can't figure out exactly what it is she's doing ("...and you take the blue stick thing and put it under the cup with the red thing on it..."). Or I'll understand what she's doing but I'm not sure why. I get the general Montessori philosophy and purpose of most of...
I work in a little toy store that sells Thomas trains, so I know more than is decent about the stuff. Learning Curve (the wooden Thomas makers) makes the fancy table which is about $230 but they also make a plain wooden one for only about $100, which I actually prefer. They make good stuff, so that's an alternative. Also ... someone mentioned this, but there's something called SureTrack which is a plastic clip that clips on under the connection of the track pieces to...
Hearthsong is great ... try also: www.playstoretoys.com www.magiccabindolls.com www.rosiehippo.com All kinds of great toys for all kinds of interests ... and not a Rescue Hero to be seen!
How about the Moomintroll books? They're from Finland, translated from Finnish, about all these great creatures who live rather peacefully in Moominvalley and have adventures. I love these, though when I read the first one to dd, she got a little bored - she was just 4 at the time, and I think it was a bit abstract for her. I plan to try them again later.
http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/ar...news/news2.txt I don't know if you have to register to access this, but the gist of it is that a local elementary school is participating in a study of FluMist to determine whether if reduces absenteeism. The Dr. King referred to below is the chief of general pediatrics at University of Maryland Hospital. Quote: "The schools are a really neat place to vaccinate children in a painless and needless form," King said....