or Connect

Posts by thriftyqueen

On June 22 of this year, we had to leave our house due to a mandatory evacuation and lost our house to a major historic flood.  There has never been a flood of this magnitude in our town.  In 1969 there was a large flood,  but the city spent millions of dollar in flood control and we were all told that Minot would never flood again.  They were very wrong.  The flood waters damaged 4,000 houses leaving 14,000 people homeless and causing over $1 Billion dollars in damages...
Caneel, all the flood maps (even FEMA) for our area only include the river as the flood plain.  They truly believed that their system was perfection and left what they felt as no error.  No single home in our entire town (or county) was required to have flood insurance at all.  It was only optional and we chose the wrong option sadly. 
We have been told that the max any household will get from FEMA for this flood is $30,200.  We are completely on our own otherwise.  We are all just reeling.  Only 380 of the 4,000 households had flood insurance.  Some of the people are elderly, some just bought their houses last month, others like us have owned for a short time, but still have a large mortgage.  The city has helped very little and at all the press conferences have just told people to do what they have...
What is the difference between at typical foreclosure and a deed in lieu of foreclosure?
On June 22, the sirens blared in our town indicating that the river had over topped it banks and over 4000 homes were going to be flooded.  Sadly, most of us didn't have flood insurance because the city had made the flood plain the river because they were so sure that we would never have flood problems again (last flood was over 40 years ago).  We could have purchased flood insurance and had as a matter of fact the last 2 years.  Anyway, that is neither here nor there. ...
The floor was an old piece of vinyl flooring.  It was a lot of work (priming, painting 2 coats, stenciling, and 3 coats of polyurethane).  Sadly, 3 days after I got the bathroom totally done, we were evacuated again and this time, the house flooded.  We are still not sure how bad it is, but from my understanding, the flood waters completely covered our house.  We won't be able to go back to our neighborhood until all the water is gone, which could be a few weeks.  I am...
Thanks for the info!  We will just be planning to wait to see how everything goes in the next days, weeks, and months.  My understanding with foreclosure was that the mortgage company could come after you and make you pay back the losses.  As in they could try to sell the land if the house is totally destroyed and then come after you for the remaining balance.  Is that true?  
As I write this, my house is being inundated with flood water.  When it crests, it is expected that the waters will be 6 feet above our roof.  Most likely, the house will either be demolished from the waters or will be a total loss.  We have no flood insurance and 10,000-12,000 people in our town are in the safe situation right now.  We live on what they call a 500 year flood plain and most people don't even have the option of flood insurance because it is a 500 year...
Thanks!  It was a great way to take my mind off river levels.  Now hopefully we are out of the woods and the river stays in its banks so we can move back into our house soon.  
Three weeks ago we had to evacuate our house due to flooding in our town and in less than 7 hours we moved everything from our 3200 square foot house out and into storage.  Because of the continued risk of flooding, we have not moved our belongings back in, but we are staying at our house with very limited items.  I have needed to occupy my time during all of this to keep my sanity so decided to redo my bathroom.  Because money is VERY tight right now (our basement is a...