or Connect

Posts by grumpyshoegirl

I was lucky enough to have a hospital-grade pump rental covered with my first, and a Medela PISA purchase with my second.  While I was home on maternity leave, nursing on demand, I scheduled in a pumping session once or twice a day to build up a stock of milk for when I had to go back to work.  As others have said, morning is best, your supply's highest then.  I pumped in front of the TV :)  20-30 minutes, or a sitcom, was a good session time for me.  Sometimes I'd get...
 Neonatal death is defined as infant death up to four weeks of age, so a higher six-week breastfeeding rate wouldn't have any impact on the neonatal death rate "later on." I've crunched the numbers on the impact of breastfeeding rates myself (as a matter of fact, in a comment debating Dr. Amy, several years ago!), and if we're being honest, then there's simply no comparison in risk.  Since I'm a math nerd, I went ahead and crunched the most recent numbers I could find...
I had a better experience at SSH than at Jordan, but the midwives (South Shore, who are now Jordan, and are AWESOME!) I saw have now moved to Jordan, and I think the fact that it's smaller and has a much lower c-section rate puts it ahead of SSH for those reasons.   HOWEVER.....my daughter stopped breathing and needed NICU care and observation, and SSH was great for that.  I was discharged before she was, and they had two non-patient rooms available for NICU moms to...
I'm finally online after never having time.  I just want to put in a plug for Jessica and all she does for HMN and organizing events and play groups.  I work, and my kids are in school, so we can't make it to the daytime events, but I can vouch for the fact that it's a very friendly, accepting group of moms and kids!
I don't think either you or the school have anything to worry about.  You've got a letter from a licensed MD with a medical exemption-- that generally is considered the strongest form of exemption out there, and the only one acceptable in all 50 states.   I'm not a school nurse, but I believe the school's responsibility is to make sure they have either confirmation of vax status OR an exemption on file for every student-- basically, every student needs to be...
You absolutely CAN have a CPM at your homebirth-- many, many moms in Massachusetts have, and at least one (excellent) local CPM is on MDC.  It's just that most insurances won't pay for it.  That's not much help if paying out of pocket is impossible, of course, but it's definitely not illegal.
Big Sister Big Brother does pick up and leaves a receipt for taxes.  You can go to their website and call them to schedule a pickup time, and then on the day of you just leave everything out front and they take it.
We can't make the SSNSC one due to schedule conflicts, but I've been before and it is awesome. They have nature trails and a rescue owl (named Hedwig) on the property. And you might end up having a chance to buy some of my cornbread if I get around to making any to donate NEXT Saturday, the 18th, is the annual Farm Day at the O'Neill Farm. VERY kid friendly and you're supporting a local food producer.
Quote: Originally Posted by teawithfrodo I know of an Episcopalian school in the Dorchester area, since I know that they tend to be more tolerant. With Catholic schools you may want to go in and talk to them and see how you feel. All the NAES schools I turned up in Dorchester are actually Catholic schools except for Epiphany and Advent. Epiphany is a tuition-free middle school available by lottery to lower-income families, and Advent is K-6 on...
Cape, Western Mass, or the Conway/Glen NH area would be my top choices. I think Story Land (in Glen) is perfect for that age group-- it's like a cheaper, less commercial, more user-friendly and MUCH smaller Magic Kingdom, and while there isn't a great variety of food options there are at least one or two healthy food markets/cafes in Conway that I remember. The Cape might be the least visited of the three areas during that time, because the summer crowd will be gone and...