or Connect

Posts by mayaandx

deleted
hurting people isn't acceptable, but neither is snatching. i'm not going to come down hard on my son and ignore what the other child did anymore. of course i have to intercede and i have, but that crucial piece of fairness and acknowledgement was missing. a toddler's hitting in that instance is without malice, just a physical expression of his wanting his toy back and that boundary being crossed. the snatching is without malice too, but the response to the situation...
We have a 3 year old and were/are dealing with something similar, but things are getting better. I think a feeling of helplessness was involved with ours, and the acting out was his clumsy attempt to resolve his feelings. Maybe something similar is happening in your case? Play can offer a chance to regain his feeling of power, and work out issues. It's therapeutic. Play games where he is bossing you or chasing you or whatever (but follow his lead there). I highly...
Wow, what amazing responses. I was up literally half the night last night, stressed and upset about all of this, and feeling like that I had somehow failed my child, confused about whether to get harsher because in the moment I can't think of another way. I reread some of raising our children, raising ourselves...and got a light bulb that xavier was not feeling supported in his sense of injustice. no, he didn't finesse the response, but it's true that the other children...
We have had some upsetting incidents recently with my son hitting, pulling hair, or otherwise trying to hurt children who want to take away toys from him while he is playing with them. Over 6 months it's happened about a half dozen times, mostly in situations where he doesn't know the children he is playing with well, but a few minor incidents happened with a good friend, too. The last time (and the worst) was a playgroup with two other children who were in our...
I agree, once the baby phase passes, now you have a toddler! Why do you expect a 17 month old to be "independent?" They need lots of physical interaction and stimulation, and guess who is around most of the time to look to for that? You. At this age, they are exploring everything and imitating what you do. In this day and age, that is only a "problem" because so many things we do are not physical and can't really be imitiate by a baby--being on the computer, pushbutton...
i have to dash this off quick, but am thinking a couple of things... i have only one child (still at home), and i feel like i'm gasping for a little time to myself, a little time that's my own. i just think nuclear families really cause tons of work for women, and lead to a feeling of rage and desperation from not being valued, respected, and from being just plain overworked. not that we can change our society into a non-nuclear famiy based one, but for me it helps to...
I am in a similar situation, although my son hasn't started preschool yet. He seems to be having a real problem with grabbing/pinching/hairpulling if kids try to take toys he is playing with. I am really worried and don't know what to do to prevent it. I've talked to him a lot about it (and yelled one time when he threw a bucket at someone's head) about how to redirect it, to stomp, etc, but of course a 3 year old can only think of so much in the heat of the moment. I am...
We have had some upsetting incidents recently with my son hitting, pulling hair, or otherwise trying to hurt children who want to take away toys from him while he is playing with them. It doens't happen often, but over 6 months it's happened about 4 times, in situations where he doesn't know the children he is playing with well. The last time (and the worst) was a playgroup with two other children who were in our Waldorf parent/child class. We decided to continue meeting...