or Connect

Posts by mayaandx

And be "off," "not the mama" for a while. I feel that way all the time, and I only have one child! Can you: --get a babysitter or a mother's helper for a few hours a week to play with the 3 year old while the baby naps? HS kids are pretty cheap to hire. --swap babysitting time with a friend? Or form a child care coop with a group of friends (or advertise on craig's list or a local listserve or bulletin board)? --go to a YMCA--a lot of YMCA's and/or gyms offer...
My almost 8 year old nephew was just diagnosed with ADHD by a neurologist. My sister is struggling with whether or not to have him put on the special-ed track in her school district (she lives in NJ). Does anyone have any experience with this? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Are there any negatives to the special ed track? He is so bright otherwise, but he is just bored by his schoolwork in class. His reading level is high and he is really smart, so what are...
My son is taking a parent and child class at Green Meadow Waldorf School, which he loves. However, we think his first preschool experience this fall (he'll be 3 1/2) will be a local, non-Waldorf preschool. We will switch to the Waldorf kindergarten at 4 years and then continue elementary in the Waldorf system, but the local non-Waldorf preschool is has shorter days and a nice structured way of separating that we like. The days at the non-Waldorf school are short enough...
Great idea; I guess I could borrow some tools. How hard could it be to make? Thanks--
This is a system that sort of works for us (the quid pro quo), but from my initiative and not his. I stay at home FT with our son. I look at it like when my husband is working, I am working, too... then we should split the rest of the childcare/housework outside of those hours. But it gets tricky to do tit for tat, so even though quid pro quo helps me think of what's fair and not automatically jump to do things, I do have to step back and just see how I'm feeling and what...
Hi, I am looking to find a used wooden playkitchen for my son, who seems to love them, especially ones with little doors. However, all the ones I've seen online are so expensive. Is anyone on this board finished with theirs and willing to sell it? I guess shipping is expensive, but I could price it out and see if it's worth it...I'm in Westchester County, NY. Thanks! Maya
Mommamoo, How do you make those dehydrated zucchini chips? I got a dehydrator to sneak in more sprouted stuff/veggies, but havent' really done it. Thanks, Maya
See the thread where another mom writes about where to put her child for a "time out." There is some good information about child development and redirection, etc. there. Maya
But I think "clinginess" is a pretty negative term for it. He is still just a baby, really. In a nuclear family situation, mothers are everything to children--their security, their fun, their amusement, their teacher. Humans are also social creatures, and children especially learn from, develop, and LIKE being around other people. Why wouldn't they want to be where the action is? Children want to be with their moms, with people. Why would they like being off by themselves...
alone time not thick on the ground, huh? Maya