or Connect

Posts by mayaandx

and I have had to learn to be persistent, work out arrangements about what's fair, and then follow through. It's amazing how much guilt we have for taking care of ourselves. In our culture women's work is invisible and valueless. WE are expected to shut up and do it, all of it...as if we were machines that can keep going and going. But we're not. And the extraordinary amount of self-sacrifice it takes to raise a child in a nuclear family means you have to replenish...
bump
I don't have experience with this, but I think as much as possible trying to honor the little one's feelings of loss and rage is important. "Raising Our Children, Raising Our Selves," is a great book that helps parents look at their own self-talk in dealing with issues. She specifically mentions conversations she had with her older child after the birth of her first that seemed great to me. Good luck-- Maya
My son is quite a bit older, but in the latter part of his 2 year had done quite a bit of hitting and pushing to other kids in new situations if they got into his space or tried to grab something. It's very frustrating and embarassing, but everyone has told me it's developmentally appropriate and likely to change as they get more verbal. But yours has quite a ways to go before he gets verbal enough to articulate. I associated the hitting with our 3rd move and my trying to...
My son is almost 3, and I am thinking about a second child. I'm totally overwhelmed by the idea, but we hardly have any family in this country and I would really like for my son to have a sibling. I know some people overestimate the work and some underestimate the work, but I am definitely the former category. My son is just getting to where he plays a LITTLE bit by himself, slightly more independently. Those moments I've gained for myself will be lost with another child....
I am not so far from a Waldorf School, but there are many more Montessori schools in my area. However, they all seem to go up to only Kindergarten or first grade. Does Montessori only go up to that age? Is it primarily a philosophy that applies only to early childhood education? Thanks! Maya
My son loves teas. I sweeten them with just a tiny bit of stevia. He really likes peppermint, rooibos, and chamomile, but has liked raspberry leaf and fennel too. He also likes unsweetened, organic cranberry juice with a little bit of stevia occasionally. It's not sugary like most juices, and I feel it adds some nutrients. However, I only use a plastic sippy cup if he will drink it right away, in like 10 minutes, and then only if he is drinking something that will stain...
Hi there, I know toddlers are supposed to be picky, but this is ridiculous. My son, who just turned 2, will only eat snacky finger foods. In the beginning he ate lots of veggie purees, but when he started feeding himself he went to finger foods that were sort of dry and portable and it's been that way ever since, like almost a year. But even in that time he's narrowed it down to eating maybe 8 things over and over. He won't even eats cold cereals like Oatios or toast...
Hi there, I know toddlers are supposed to be picky, but this is ridiculous. My son, who just turned 2, will only eat snacky finger foods. In the beginning he ate lots of veggie purees, but when he started feeding himself he went to finger foods that were sort of dry and portable and it's been that way ever since, like almost a year. But even in that time he's narrowed it down to eating maybe 8 things over and over. He won't even eats cold cereals like Oatios or toast...
It might also help to remind your husband that a human 15 month old is not supposed to be independent! They are very dependent, and will be for years. You learn to be independent by going through the stages of dependence and growing. You can't skip dependence. It is a huge myth in our culture that crying it out leads to independence. It just really teaches babies that no one will listen and what they learn is that no one comes, no matter how desperate they are. Touch and...