or Connect

Posts by maxmom

Greetings! I'm looking for an experienced doula or retired midwife to back me up for a lovely couple who will birth at Dartmouth, NH medical center. The due date is late July, she's a primip. About me: I've been a doula for 18 years, CPM Midwife since 1998 (currently inactive). I attend births throughout Central Vermont usually. Any referrals are greatly appreciated. Thank you! Ame http://doulavermont.tumblr.com/
Greetings! I'm looking for recommendations for an experienced doula for a late-July birth at Dartmouth Medical Center. A retired midwife or nurse or experienced birth person would be great. Thank you!
Babyjayney-- I last posted on this discussion four years ago, when I was having my first child. Sorry to hear you're grappling with such a tough predicament. A good friend of mine had a partial previa with her second baby last year and though she was a committed natural home birther, she had to have a c/section because it was the safest thing to do for the baby and for her. In the end it was the right thing for them. I wish you all the best and that the right...
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm finding that many doulas like to go to the birth, but few are interested in the postpartum support. Hopefully one (or two!) will feel called... Postpartum care is so special and important.
In my past experiences (because I'm on sabbatical right now) I found that things rarely went smoothly if I had a gut instinct that something wasn't lining up energetically. I also found that those mamas that showed up late in their pregnancy with little or no prenatal care didn't have very groovy births, to say the least. There would be something missing in the relationship maybe, or even between the mom and baby if she hadn't been taking responsibility all along. Know...
Hi All I'm looking for a doula in training to do some post partum baby care and other doula related duties for a lovely family that has been through a lot lately. The doula in training--or simply a volunteer doula--needs to live in the Central Vermont area. Please let me know if you're interested and I'll fill you in on the details. Thanks in advance! Ame, CPM Montpelier, VT
It just strikes me that she's not really connected to the big picture somehow. I get the feeling that you'd be doing the best for her and for protecting yourself by being her doula in the hospital. Just my opinion. Best of luck!
I was just recalling that one of the first disciplines I tried out on our son was a consequences accountability "If This, Then That". For instance, he was such a picky eater early on, and we were signing with him before he started talking, so I'd sign "Yes Book, Yes Eat. No Eat, No Book" meaning if he ate, he got a reward of a book read to him. It worked immediately and he was very cooperative with that mode of "discipline". I still use rewards and bribery. If he does...
I can totally relate to your frustration with nursing baby and then they don't nap. I would sometimes nurse my son over an hour and then he'd pop up rejuvenated and raring to go, when all I wanted was a little down time. My son is almost three years old now and still nursing, but we have given up naps for good. Before we did, however, I found that black out curtains really helped get him to sleep in the afternoon. Our lack of naps now means he goes to bed at a more...
I'm real sorry to hear your dad's having a tough time. I read your thread because it's so similar to what's going on with my mom--not the same specific physical ailments, but she's suffering tremendously with an undiagnosed mystery lung disease. To watch your parent suffer is such a hard thing to do. I want to intervene and tell her what she needs to do, but of course that's ridiculous, she's 65 years old and has made all the decisions so far that have gotten her to...