or Connect

Posts by lobster

I'm a Suzuki violin teacher, so obviously I'm a fan of the method. I love the parental involvement, the philosophy, the peer support and everything else about it. I have to laugh when I read people's comments about Suzuki Method producing sub-par musicians. My students consistently out-perform classically trained students every year in competitions, and consistently rank in the top three for their respective categories. Every program I've been involved with has...
I haven't looked at Live Ed, but I do have the Enki curriculum and borrowed the Christopherus from a friend to take a look at. In my opinion, Enki is far superior in terms of quality, resources, materials, etc. Of course you are paying more, but you get so much more for it. My son is LOVING Enki. Every day I'm thankful that we chose this path. http://ourenkijourney.wordpress.com
Oh, also wanted to mention, there are curricula out there that use stories to introduce numbers and math concepts, which might be very helpful to your daughter.
Why does a 5-yr-old NEED to be solid with her numbers? She's still in kindergarten - give her time! Maybe by the end of grade one I'd start to wonder, but not at this age. If you really want to work on numbers with her, perhaps consider a different approach. It may be that your daughter learns better through music or art, and that painting the numbers would be more helpful to her. Perhaps cutting large numbers out of paper would be a good thing for her. Perhaps...
We're using the Enki curriculum, in which other cultures and customs are presented through folk & fairy tales. It's fabulous - my kids are always begging for more stories and have absorbed so much from the stories we've read. Here's what we do: We pick a story for the week. Day one, we read the story and that's it. Day two, we read the story again and draw in our workbooks anything that strikes us from the story. Day three, we read again and make a craft that has...
We are doing Enki kindergarten and loving it, and yes there is a lot of material for the parent to read through, but I don't find that the actual implementation of it is overwhelming or a lot of work for that matter. It has worked beautifully for us so far. The Enki Foundations Guides address working with special needs and learning challenges, but I can't answer your specific questions because I'm not dealing with those challenges myself. I just wanted to chime in...
We just got started in August with Enki - my son turned 3 in September. I LOVE the Enki material! It is very easy to adapt to your own life, and actually the teaching guides recommend that you adapt things so that they feel "right" for you. I don't think you'd find the K curriculum to be a waste of money - while it is a lot upfront, the amount of materials and resources you receive is MASSIVE and well worth every penny. There is enough there that you could use the...
I felt FANTASTIC through my son's pregnancy, best ever. Through my daughter's pregnancy I was sick from beginning to end and lost 25lbs rather than gaining any weight. I'm really hoping that this isn't the case this time around! So far the nausea and vomiting is not letting up...
Lynden was 19 months old when Raina was born, and witnessed her birth. He played in the birth pool with me while I laboured, which was fantastic pain relief! My sister was at our house to keep an eye on him and give him attention, keep him out of the way if need be, etc. For the next birth I plan to have both children present, again with my sister on hand to tend to their needs.
Quote: Originally Posted by ferrum97 I wish I could know if I would have another posterior baby, b/c that may influence my decision but obviously I can't know that for sure in advance. There is a lot you can do to properly position your baby in your third trimester, and you CAN figure out your baby's positioning without ultrasound! Check out Spinning Babies to learn about Optimal Fetal Positioning (http://www.spinningbabies.com)- my doula...