or Connect

Posts by jenP

"Exam gloves," which would typically be used in a doctor's office, come in a box of 100 or so and are not sterile, but are presumed to be clean, and act as a barrier. "Surgical gloves," the kind actually used for surgery, are typically thicker and unlike exam gloves they come in sizes so they are snug-fitting, ARE sterile (as long as the package is not damaged), come in individual packets of two gloves, and there is a certain method to putting them on so that you...
Thank you, ieatcheese. Your story and your well-written post shed some light on why someone would write a letter even if no retraction had occurred at their visit.  
Maybe... it's up to you, really (if you want to use the term or not)! "Furries" run the gamut from people (very few!) who think they actually are an animal trapped in human form, to people who just think it's fun to draw cartoon animals, to people who like to wear tails and ears when they go out, or people who like to wear full mascot-style animal costumes, and anything in between! Me, I just have a love of costuming, and I love the playfulness and whimsy of the other...
Here's what would be awesome to be able to do: Interview every pediatrician in the area until you find one who actually understands that "retraction" means ANY manipulation of the foreskin back toward the shaft. Then, write your ex-doctor a letter explaining that, happily, you have found a physician whose training and education and cooperative, evidence-based approach suit yours and your children's needs to a "T." Explain that, although you are happy with your new...
Oooh, did you say "tails," Mama? Are you a furry? I've been looking to meet other furry mamas!   We are finally going to get to a bluegrass festival in late August, the Hickory Festival in Northeast PA. We haven't been to a festival since 2009. We're going to go up five days before the festival starts, and just camp and enjoy being in the mountains. Grass Stained Genes and Well Strung are playing, among others. It should be real nice!    
Yay for you, for driving all that way in crazy traffic and unfamiliar areas, I applaud your dedication to obtain proper medical care for your son! Isn't it amazing, the strength you find to do things you never thought you could do before you were a mama?   I hope your son is all better soon! I was following the thread and it sure sounds like a tough one to figure out.
Hello Acksiom, I remember you and your insightful posts.   That story is indeed gruesome. I had not heard anything about it. Surely the disregard for this man's suffering is rooted in our culture's deep-seated belief that the owner of a penis has no real jurisdiction over it; that others can carve up said penis as they see fit, either to "improve" its appearance, or to punish the boy or man (think of the recommendations from circ's beginnings in the U.S. that it be...
I don't see a problem with letting them know your agenda. Call around, tell them upfront that you are looking for a medical care provider with a solid knowledge base in caring for intact males, and that naturally a doctor who really knows his stuff on intact anatomy and function would understand that it is not necessary and in fact harmful, and would therefore not be performing this cosmetic operation on parental request. Tell them upfront you are looking for a doctor...
I absolutely would include it with a gift, along with other useful sources of information on a variety of pregnancy and baby-related topics. It can be hard to find clear, concise, useful, and correct information on lots of baby-related things, not just circumcision, and I like to share my favorites with others. For instance, I often give a copy of "So That's What They're For!" because I found it to be such a useful source of information on breastfeeding. (Sure, "The...
  Yep. They see a foreskin and automatically see trouble - where there is none! THAT'S what gives me pause when you hear people deciding to have their newborn circumcised because "we know SO MANY boys who HAD TO have it done later." You just have to wonder how many of those boys who "had to" be circumcised ACTUALLY had to be. I'm thinking the number is extremely close to zero!