or Connect

Posts by gracesmommy

This may fall into the Yeah, We Tried That category, but my reflux baby slept in her car seat for the first 8 months of her life. She had pretty much the sleep pattern you described if we put her in the crib, but sitting upright in the seat, she was able to sleep. It wasn't ideal, but by that point, Ideal had gone right out the window. They really do grow out of the reflux; she stopped needing the meds around 9 months and while she's not a sleep champ, she's much better.
How is it offensive? Do you think the decision process isn't different based on your SES and what you expect to be able/required (by convention, anyway) to provide for your kid(s)? DD is going to be an only child, and one of the main considerations that we can afford to give her a reasonably financially secure life, whatever activities she wants (well, no pony in our 2BR condo!), help with college, not be too stressed over surprise expenses, etc. The math doesn't work...
Quote: Originally Posted by thismama Did he have to take the job? What other options existed? Did they plan for her to leave the children for three weeks from the beginning? Oh, right, because they're in the happy-clappy military (maybe you missed that part) where you get to tell them where you want to go and if it's going to be a problem for your family, well, no biggie, we'll just skip that nasty old nuclear thingamabob going on over there in...
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonflyBlue For every belief that a child will be harmed are several who hold the belief that those who never leave their kids are harming them. Smothering them and making them incapable of functioning in the real world.
Yay! What a great thing to do. How about just calling it a Baby Care room, and mention it having a comfortable rocking chair and changing table or whatever? It seems like that would avoid making it sound like it's mandatory to nurse in there, and it doesn't alienate mamas who aren't bfing (or pumped because they don't nip and didn't think there would be such a nice place to bf!) and would like a quiet place to give a bottle, or just wind down an overstimulated baby. So...
I haven't heard anyone mention the role of the babies' fathers. It used to be that if you got "in trouble" it was shotgun wedding time. Now that has turned into single motherhood as the default, which is less ideal financially. Of course, at one point a kid with a high school education or less could go to work in factory and earn enough to support his little family, and that ain't happening now. And there was a stigma if he didn't do the right thing, which doesn't...
Quote: I believe that babies and mamas have a right to be together, and that the culture and their support systems should work to make that happen wherever possible, instead of working against it. Yes, and it would also be great if fairies came and built the girl and her child a gingerbread house to live in, with a graham cracker paddock out back for the flying ponies. But that hasn't happened, the baby is here now and his mother isn't interested in...
Check http://www.bankrate.com - they can pull up a chart of all the rewards programs so you can compare them easily!
Quote: Originally Posted by pumpkinhead To be perfectly honest, this sort of thing does irk me, but I do have to respect that not everyone wishes to be in the presence of my children. Exactly! I'm sure I've broken almost all of my "I will never [blank]" vows that I made while I was childless, but I try to be mindful of the impact my kid is having on the people around her. I think she's full of sunshine and delight, but for someone else, she's...
Quote: Originally Posted by paquerette I don't think it's fair to restrict kids to hard seats when there are comfy couches available. What about the kid who had a nasty spill off his bike yesterday and has an aching tush, and is told that he can sit on the nice cushion, he has to sit on a hard seat? I wonder if anyone's thinking about how the children being discriminated against actually feel. Are you serious? Really? It's the business owner's...