or Connect

Posts by BenJulieMattzMom

Thanks for that post, Dar. I do think my dd needs to adjust to the changes happening in her body. There are changes in her social life at school also - the time of cliques and bickering has begun. I just don't want her taking out frustrations on the rest of our family. And we have talked about this. Maybe I need to have another talk about hormones, bursts of anger and the like. BenzJuliezMattzMom Mom of 12 almost 13 yr old boy/2 yr old boy/11 yr old DD
My problem is that my dd did help with things when she was little. It's just that there's a definite attitude change that's getting worse as she's in 5th grade. Next year she'll be in middle school and i have to assume the attitude won't mysteriously go away soon. She wants to pull away and isolate - go in her room, on the computer, phone. I give her some space but not all she wants. She is still part of our family unit IMO. I have read the reasons why preteens to do...
Wow no chores...well in our family this is the way i see it, I literally pay hundreds of dollars per year for them to play football, soccer, scouting, gas driving them around, arranging play dates (i don't know what the "cool" word for that is now that they're preteens), making sure the teachers are fair to them in school by staying on top of, participating in school events that usually bore me to tears, fund raisers (used to be fun but after a few years of it....well..),...
LOL - yea it is true - pulling a monkey's teeth would be easier...
I remember complaining about this to my mother-in-law, and she said, "babies aren't stupid, OF COURSE they want to be held all the time, wouldn't you?!" She also told me to hold that baby as much as possible because they grow up fast. Now, my 12 yr old is 5'10" tall. When I go to get my 2 yr old out of his crib and tell him to give me a hug and kiss, he says, "nooo don't like it!" I know it's bone tiring exhausting having a new baby but whatever happens, "this too,...
I agree that 11 is WAY old enough to do chores. (My 2 yr old puts his toys away, helps me cook by stirring things, gets his toy vacuum while i vaccum, etc.) The problem in my house is getting her to do them. It is a battle. It takes a lot of energy on my part to be firm and try not to get sucked into aguing with her. I have a 12 yr old son who is so easy going - not only does he do the chores i ask, when finished he asks if there's anything else i need him to do! My...
I have always had inner conflict over whether to let my kids play computer/video games. On-line games where you can see other people talking scare me even more. I decided to let them so they could have things in common with their friends but I am always looking for signs that they are becoming addicted to any of these platforms. (And game boys are good for long car rides, etc. ) For us, it hasn't happened yet. And, they simply are not allowed to play for hours at a...
I also love my electrolux - it's 14 years old, still works well but is a bit beat up. I am thinking about getting a new vacuum now and glad to see this thread. I was hoping to buy something comparable to it but - under $300.00. One thing i know is that i do NOT want a bagless vacuum! It seems to me that emptying it would be a pain and "yucky" (my 2 yr old's fav phrase as of this week).
I have always believed "it takes a village to raise a child". Amost every consistant adult in a child's life will have an impact on them on way or another. We are role models no matter what our relationship is if around a child or young adult on a regular basis. Geesh, I am having a "Ghandi-like" morning I think. But, really, having a few step-parents throughout my life whom I rarely tolerated, looking back I recognize they do represent who I am to some extent. ...