or Connect

Posts by widemouthedfrog

We do have a huge booklet about safety, but yes, we should have something there as an introduction on the website itself.   And I agree - there is an ongoing dialogue with the parents of all of the children, especially when the children are facing a particular challenge in the program.
Thanks! Yes, the program is for all children, but because of its alternative, outdoor nature, it attracts children who are not a "fit" with an indoor environment. Some of these children have diagnosed special needs.   Thanks for the alternative wordings. I like "how we can make the program a reality for your child," although to be honest, it won't be able to be a reality for every child.   How do I communicate that - while being welcoming, because we want to...
Hello everyone, I am the president of a nonprofit outdoor program. Since it is for younger children, we have both children with diagnosed special needs and undiagnosed special needs.   We are working on a policy that will see us approach the parents before registration to determine whether the child and the program would mesh well (we need to have children respond to "stop!", since we work in an outdoor environment). Once the child is accepted, we would work with...
I think that children often learn to love what they know - so whatever you bring to their childhood, that will be a place where they feel safe and connected - unless as some of the PPs mentioned, you end up having a hard experience from living near water.   I love wet places and grew up in a rainforest surrounded by mountains. I would have a hard time living in an open place with no water or mountains.   I think that both places can inspire creative play and...
seaislandmama, I'm really not sure. My dd is quite hairy, although very fair. She is only 6 1/2 so she doesn't have any other hair coming in, but I think that when it does she will likely be fairly hairy - so I've thought about this a little already.   I also do not want her to be teased, nor do I want her to be ashamed of her hair. Having hair is natural, after all! However, I do shave my legs. I try not to make a big point of it, but she knows I do it and has asked...
We love Reading Eggs (online). My daughter had big resistance to me helping her directly with a lot of phonics. She would choose to do the same levels of Starfall over and over again because she likes to get things right. Reading Eggs moves your child through a series of progressive lessons. It works very well for kids who need a little push to move ahead.   There is also a free trial. I think it's 6 weeks.
Wow - thanks for all of the replies. If I may, I will continue to vent a bit on here until I feel better about this direction.   First, a quick update: So the teacher draws an "X" through things that are wrong on their work as she goes through the classroom. At the end of the lesson she recycles the pages that have an X on them. Today dd drew her grandparents' dog instead of herself in a picture because she said that she was going to miss the dog, who is going to...
Thanks LuckyMama. Just to be clear - she has a ton of friends at the school but her best friend is kind of a big sister sort (another only child), and she's older. Some of the other friends are being a bit exclusive at the moment, but I think that's just 6 year old politics and they will likely sort it out soon. And if they don't, she doesn't need to play with those ones.   Yes, we've been debriefing after school with 2 good 2 bad. I am planning to volunteer,...
Hi everyone - happy fall!   Long time no see. Like Elena, I rarely drop by any more although I think about you often! I just posted an extremely long ramble in Learning at School and I would love your thoughts.  
So it's been a long road of discussion over where dd goes to school. My dh is a public school teacher (elementary), and to him it is very important that dd go to public school for at least grades 1-3 so she can be taught reading, writing, and basic math. We have had many discussions about this and it comes down to a difference in basic beliefs about education. I believe that children who love learning will come to what they love and learn it, although I'm also willing to...