or Connect

Posts by Twocoolboys

At the time when I first looked into BlogHer, they weren't accepting applications. They did have an e-mail list and said they would e-mail when they opened up. I left my e-mail and awhile later (a few weeks, I think), they contacted me and said they checked out my blog and it fit in with their requirements. I had a lengthy application to fill out. I was accepted pretty quickly. I don't know if they are accepting applications right now or not, but if not, get your...
I'm not entirely sure, but I have my blog listed at BlogHer and I use them for my ads. I know they are an on-line community for women bloggers and they support blogs written by women, but I don't know how the blogs they have directly on their site come to be. Since I'm part of their network, they put a link to my blog in a rotation that appears in a short list on other BlogHer blogs, in one of the advertising spaces. I get some page views through that. I haven't gotten...
Quote: Originally Posted by nextcommercial I don't know why exactly.. It just made me feel really bad for him when he said that. I wondered if he secretly WANTED to say "I'm so mad at my mom for letting me get like that".? Maybe he does feel that way, but I got the feeling that he didn't. And, I think that, while parents play a role in childhood obesity certainly, there are so many other factors. Genes, our culture, advertising,...
Quote: Originally Posted by nextcommercial I thought "Well, it wasn't YOU, it was your parent's" I wouldn't want my child to blame herself for something that I had control of. But, I wouldn't want her to be bitter either. I don't think this has been said yet - Daniel is now an adult, so it was up to him to take responsibility for his own health and his own body. Regardless of how he got that way, he had to choose to get healthy. And, he...
We used to have a big Associated Content thread on here, but I haven't seen it in awhile. After a very long break, I've started submitting to them again. They've changed a bit since I used to submit to them on a regular basis. They've lowered their minimum word count to 350 for one. That makes it a bit easier for me to whip up a quick article. And, their rules aren't quite as strict as Suite101's. I seem to be doing pretty well there in earnings from page views. ...
Go ahead, request a review! I did it. It's really not that bad! I got a few helpful tips and some not so helpful ones, but it was interesting to get feedback. And, I do have to add that I find it out of place when people declare their religion (or lack of) on their blog, especially when it has nothing to do with their blog topic. It's like writing an article about lawn care and mentioning that you don't like soda pop. It's completely irrelevant. I usually ignore...
I don't know if this would help you or not, but I do think that some sites let you request a check instead of using paypal. I use BlogHer for my blog ads and I requested a paper check through snail mail because I already get paid through pay pal for some other writing gigs and, well, I just want to have a check to cash now and again. I'm sure I've seen the option on some other writing sites as well, but I can't think which they are off the top of my head.
Quote: Originally Posted by eastkygal But, I guess what you are saying is it may actually be more of a waste of time and money to submit blindly, or semi-blindly to a journal. I'd be more successful if I did buy a few issues (at least one) and went from there. That would mean not as many submissions going out. I just read an article in Poets and Writers. A guy submitted his story 39 times before it was published... to 39 different journals. He says...
Do you have a local library? Even if your library doesn't carry a certain journal, maybe they can get an issue for you with library loan. What about a college library? Also try contacting the journal directly. I know a lot of magazines will give sample issues or only charge a few dollars for them. That's better than buying a whole subscription. I've learned that the best chance of success is to study the magazine you are submitting to. It took a long time for...
I think whether or not your blog has focus depends on why you blog. If you're looking to make money or build followers, then I recommend a niche blog. I have a niche blog and I love it. It's all about cleaning up the clutter in my house. I've been able to stick with the topic all year and find that I'm not getting sick of it. I am trying to add in some informational, article-style posts, but they are all related to cleaning and/or clutter when I do. Most of my posts...