or Connect

Posts by mothercat

Vanity US are not FDA approved and are not evidence based care. They are specifically not allowed to tell you if there is an anatomical problems or measurements. They can only check gender and give you a peek at the face.
My point about bringing the safety discussions here is that many midwives are not knowledgeable about them, or are very biased against hospitals and doctors. If the midwives who are advising women don't know, then how can they advise women on the appropriate options for mom and baby safety? If the midwives aren't telling women these things where are women supposed to find them? The larger home birth and midwifery community isn't talking about them and women are frequently...
 Yes, fear can effect labor and birth. However, ignorance can also be detrimental. It can lead to denial that there is a problem that would be better handled at the hospital and time is then wasted convincing the family that it is time to go.My patients know that I have an extremely low tolerance for risk factors and risks. It doesn't mean I don't trust birth. It means I respect it. They hire me to make sure they and the baby are safe. No, we don't talk about every...
 ( Using the online Free Dictionary.) There are 8-9 definitions of support total, but I suspect the ones which apply here would be: a. To aid the cause, policy, or interests of: supported her in her election campaign. b. To argue in favor of; advocate: supported lower taxes. 8. To endure; tolerate: "At supper there was such a conflux of company that I could scarcely support the tumult" (Samuel Johnson).   However, one of the definitions for "support" is "to...
So how does one prove that they are a home birth supporter or advocate? Is it just a matter of having had a home birth? Does being a midwife who assists at home birth count? Or, does it have more to do with the general tone of messages in attempting to discuss home birth safety?
Couldn't support only forums also be referred to as "group think"?  Group think is seldom a good thing.
Precisely!     It is easy to say that the birth certificate data is inaccurate when it doesn't show what you want it to.   However, when it agrees with your agenda you can say it is accurate and hope that people forget that just a couple weeks ago you said it wasn't.   I read through her report and I kept having to reread sentences. It seems to have been written with an agenda in mind. I think she understands quite well that most people aren't going to bother...
Here is an analysis of the study from med page today. By Sarah Wickline , Staff Writer, MedPage Today A federal government report on home birthing trends suggested that out-of-hospital births were increasing, but the report omitted key information about attendants at home births and neonatal outcomes, according to one expert. The overall rate of out-of-hospital births increased from 0.87% of all births in 2004 to 1.36% in 2012, Marian F. MacDorman, PhD, of the National...
Isn't this based on birth certificate data from the CDC?  MANA and the lead author of this study (McDorman) have said that data isn't reliable.
BTW: the CDC study I mentioned is based on birth certificate data.