or Connect

Posts by Benjismom

Hey all:   I've been AWOL from Mothering lately. I've been spending a fair amount of time since my diagnosis on the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society support boards, which has a forum dedicated to my kind of leukemia. There are a few parents of young kids, and we talk about the challenges of keeping up with them, and talking about our illness with them, etc.   It's good to see that everyone here is doing well, all things considered. I am still on daily treatment,...
Hello all: I have been plugging along with my treatment, which is continuing to work well. The fatigue is worse some days than others and I have worse muscle pain than I had in the beginning. I've definitely had to lower my expectations about what I can get done, and that has been hard for me to deal with. Sometimes I get stubborn and overdo it, then pay for it later. My family has done well so far though we've had some forgotten assignments/musical instruments/etc with...
Hi OneGirlOneBoy: First, good on your husband for signing up for the registry and going through with the donation. I have chronic leukemia and could find myself needing to go to transplant at some point and I'm so grateful there are people like your husband out there. Will this be a stem cell transplant or will they be transplanting actual BM? If it's the former, the process is super-easy--just a few blood draws. If he'll need to have bone marrow aspirated, I won't...
 Well I'm almost a month into treatment now and things are going OK. The good news is that my blood counts are in normal range, so I'm responding to the drug. There will be more sophisticated assessments at 3 and 6 months to see whats going on at the genetic and molecular levels. My main challenge is serious fatigue--it reminds me of how I used to feel in early pregnancy when I swore I could fall asleep standing up! I also hurt all over, muscles and joints. I also feel...
I was diagnosed this week with chronic myelogenous leukemia, chronic stage. My disease is treatable with a targeted oral therapy that has moderate side effects for most people. This treatment is relatively new so it's not clear how durable the remission is. Those who relapse progress to acute leukemia and need a bone marrow transplant. I am very concerned about my ability to be a good mom to my kids while feeling bad. I have a 10-year-old DS, a 7-year-old DD and a...
I just had a similar experience with my 7-month-old (34-weeker). I'm interested to hear others' experiences because I'm not sure what to do. Beth DS1 (9), DD(6), DS2 (11/30/08)
Hi: Like you, I teach as an adjunct. However, I have learned a ton about how one goes about getting a tenure-track law teaching job. Please feel free to PM me and we can talk. The basic process for a full-time tenure-track position involves interviewing first at the AALS hiring hall conference in November, then at schools that call you back. There is a form you fill out and return to AALS in August (I think) that all the schools get and that's how they decide...
I use it with the infant car seat attachment and have been able to run with my baby starting when he was about 3 weeks old. It is great! Very smooth; he sleeps the entire time I run. I got a good deal ($100) on a used one on my neighborhood listserve. I was also monitoring Craig's List and saw a couple on there as well. Beth DS1 (9), DD (6), DS2 (b. 11/30/08)
I am a big fan of Debra Haffner--here's one of her books ("From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children"): http://www.newmarketpress.com/title.asp?id=480 Good luck! Beth DS1 (8-1/2), DD (6) and DS2 (2 mos.)
The eggs (nits) are very round, so you aren't likely to mistake them for dandruff or other kinds of flakes. They also tend to stick to the hair shaft and are more likely to be found around the ears and the nape of the neck. The lice themselves are kind of a clear brownish color. The best treatment is in fact the most natural one--combing out the lice and nits with a special fine-tooth comb. (The special chemical shampoos sold in the drug store are pretty much...