or Connect

Posts by ihathi

Okay, so then the savings bond idea isn't too... practical for something so... spiritual?  My mom actually made the same suggestion, but, well, she is a super-practical person, so I thought that others might find it tacky.  If it's appropriate, that would make this whole thing pretty easy.  I'd still want to do something personal also...  so I'm still open for suggestions there.    What would be a good book other than the Bible?  I'm not opposed to the Bible, but our...
Hi there,   In a couple of weeks, my husband and I will be a part of our goddaughter's baptism ceremony.  We are really honored that the parents asked us to be godparents, but the truth is that we don't regularly go to church and we haven't baptized our own children. As such, we have no idea what would make a good gift or how to most appropriately contribute to the service.    What makes this especially tricky is that it might be a little insincere for us to get...
I would agree with the suggestion that you not give much weight to the situations that brings out your 4 y/o's sensitivity.  I've been known to say things to my DS1 as flippant as, "You know kids do lots of silly things for no good reason."   I've also given him lots of instruction in, "just ignoring it."  When he was 4, it seemed like too much discussion of motivations or possible responses could just escalate his anxiety ("Well, if I say that, he might say...",...
I would encourage you not to worry too much about this.  It sounds like you responded in a very thoughtful, loving way and that's what your DS needed.  It also sounds like you have a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds in your lives--I think this helps kids go a long way in learning to like their own, personal diverse background.   In any event, my DS1 went through something similar at 4 as well--it was exacerbated by the fact that his baby brother turned out...
Thanks, sraplayas!  Our trip to MX went really, really well, but, yes, we only went to my ILs in Guerrero.  The trip involves 14 hours of travel and I was alone with my 2 y/o and 5 y/o--once we got to the pueblo, I wasn't going anywhere!  If I do any "scouting" trips to MX in the future, I feel like I really have to do them w/o the kids in tow...   QiMom, yes, in my experience, there tends to be a general lack of awareness about toxins (at least in Gro).  For me,...
Thanks so much for your thoughtful post, QiMom!  I would have seen it sooner had we not been in MX, visiting my in-laws.  Very valuable information...  And everything you say about the value of word-of-mouth makes sense, but it's such a hard reality for me to accept! The trouble is that we have specific financial concerns (i.e., how will we continue to support my ILs and educate my DC if we move out of the US?) that we'd love to know will be "okay" in spite of a move...
Yeah, Lisa1970, this is the same conclusion my DH and I came to after the party.  It makes me so sad though...  For immigration reasons, DH can't travel to Mexico to see his family there (brothers, sisters, parents), so basically the only meaningful connection he has with family/heritage/culture is when we participate in these parties.  There's a part of me that feels guilty and not-quite-right in agreeing with my DH that we're better off just keeping our distance...   
sraplayas, I've been a fan of yours for a long time now!  There are a few of you who are clearly "doing the thing" (living in Mexico) and have really great, substantial comments to add to any threads started on here....  Thanks for that!    And thank you for the invitation to pm you--I think that, I will definitely want to do so when we get a little further along in our planning.   One thing I saw you mention on a separate thread was something about organic...
Okay, so I'm going to preface this by saying I am very aware that my Mexican DH's family is not necessarily representative of Mexican culture in general.  However, I'm posting this here because the family itself has a culture that differs greatly from my own and I constantly struggle to define the "line" that divides that which I'm willing to embrace (or at least deal with) and that which I all-out reject...   So I'm still fuming from a party that we had in our condo...
Riomidwife, this has actually been my strongest suspicion--I know that, even in the city closest to my DH's hometown (homepueblo?), Internet connections are slow and shaky.  They're there, but, for instance, you rarely get a satellite connection.    I hate to think, though, that we just have to dive in headfirst to find these things out for ourselves... in person... Kind of scary for a person who likes to have things planned out well in advance...