or Connect

Posts by ihathi

Welcome, patecake!  I think you've found a good community for voicing frustrations like the ones you described here...   I kind of find it shocking that, after 15 months, your MIL would *still* refer to her own grandchild as "exotic."  It makes it seem like she feels quite distanced from the baby and I can see why that would make you sad/frustrated.  Maybe she could use some one-on-one time with him when he gets a little bigger?  Nothing like dealing with a toddler...
Lookatreestar, so do you have any ideas about what you would do for work in Morelia?   This is the area where we're having the hardest time getting ideas...  and since his parents still depend on us earning an income (v. dedicating ourselves to their traditional subsistence farming lifestyle), we know we have to figure that piece out!   BTW, our current "Mexican home" is in a small pueblo in Guerrero.  However, we know that if we move to MX, we will inevitably live...
I would say that, from my experience, it's kind of typical within lower/middle-class Mexicans to expect the women to all kind of jump up to clean up after a meal.  What I like about this is that a lot of people help with a job that would otherwise be a ton of work for a single individual (i.e., the hostess)--what I don't like about it is the fact that it's generally just women doing the helping.   But I wouldn't necessarily blame your boyfriend for not warning you...
Thanks, ladies!  Mexicali mami, I'll admit that I've considered PM'ing the frequent posters here.  The trouble is that we're just starting to formulate a plan, so what I'm needing is more like inspiration than factual knowledge... Also, I tend to feel like there are lots and lots of people who say they have "thought about" moving abroad--I'd feel flaky asking someone to share their time and expertise with me personally simply because "I'm thinking about" something... ...
For a few years now, I've had this habit of occasionally checking in on this FYT forum to see if there's been an increase in activity.  I'm always a little disappointed to see that the most recent post went up months before... But the thing is that I always figured that the community I was looking for--U.S. expats in Mexico who are mothers AND into AP topics AND communicate regularly via Internet--was just too specialized.   But here's the thing--my husband and I...
Yep, no TV in our house either... We watch a movie once a week, but we've been doing that for several years now...   As of this week, I'm working really hard on just not reacting so strongly to DS1's tantrums--it's hard though...  When a 2 y/o has a tantrum, I feel like I understand it as a part of normal development.  I understand that the 2 y/o really has lost control and needs support to pull it back together.  I understand that this can even be scary for a toddler and...
This whole thread is hugely therapeutic for me.  My 5.5 y/o DS has been driving me *crazy* recently!  We have to talk everyday (usually multiple times in a day) about the importance of speaking to others with respect.  We also have to remind him that the 2 y/o is supposed to learn behavior from him, not the other way around!  I could swear he has more toddler-like tantrums now than at any other age.  What has made it worse for us is that I recently started working...
Hee-hee! I think this is a really cute idea, so I'm game (though I should admit I'm not living in my DH's country anymore--I think the idea is still pertinent...) The truth is that there are so many things I've absorbed... and so much I've rejected. Hard to narrow down, but here are some of the easy answers... Absorbed: tortillas and beans as the foundation of our diet, the Spanish language, the deep-seated belief that family should be at the heart of everything we do...
My DH is Mexican and I'm American and we're both bilingual. We have two boys--a 2 y/o and a 5 1/2 y/o. Over the last five and a half years, we've tried a little of everything in our quest to raise our sons bilingual and our rules at this point are as follows: 1) We just speak Spanish in the home w/ exceptions made for book time and movie night (we try to keep a good # of Spanish books around, but the majority of our books are in English) 2) We just speak Spanish if...
mt gooseberry, I wish you all the luck with completing the immigration process and starting your "new lives" in the States... It sounds like you've had an unbelievably rough time and you should give yourself credit for persevering! If it's any consolation, I had a similar experience *before* my DH and I had any kids... (God-I can't even imagine if we'd tried w/ a baby!) We moved to Mexico to get married and then stayed on for a year. It was a terrible year--I...