or Connect

Posts by ihathi

I'm relatively new to MDC and had never checked this forum out before tonight. Your post really hit me though... I am so sorry about the sadness and frustration you were feeling a few days ago. And I really hope you've found a real-live person to talk to who can give you a real-live hug...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mariposa i don't even think most american realize that they probably know many undocumented immigrants and don't even know they are undocumented! maybe this will open some eyes. My own uncle has been sending anti-immigrant propaganda to my family members through e-mail. This uncle gets along well with DH and knows that my immediate family adores him. We can only imagine that it never occurred to him that DH...
i'm not at all qualified to give any advice in the sleep department... just thought i'd let you know that we've been struggling with craaazy sleep problems since the time change too. i know exactly what you mean about how exhausting it can be to get these little guys to sleep! just know you aren't alone. when i'm as wasted as i feel today, i try to focus on the fact that, despite his irregular sleep habits, DS is a really happy boy. he is a confident baby who...
geez, reading through this thread, i feel sort of shallow... in spite of my mexican DH's heritage, we gave DS just one last name because our combined last names sounded ridiculous! i have a very hard-to-pronounce irish name, DH has what amounts to "smith" in latin america... combined, it is a mouthful--i should know b/c i hyphenated _my_ name after DS's birth! no regrets about baby's last name, some about my own...
The bottom line is that there is no legal means by which poor, undereducated latin americans can get work visas in the U.S. (much less citizenship). And yet there have always been jobs for them here. For decades, we have had administrations that pay lip-service to "securing our southern border," but then fail to enforce any laws that would keep employers from taking advantage of the undocumented immigrant's labor. (I read somewhere that President Bush's personal chef...
JodiM and cjuniverse, although it is somehow comforting to know there are other women in my situation, it makes me so sad to know your stories. I can't imagine what it would be like to have [I]five[I] kids or to be pregnant right now! And then I start to think of all the other untold stories out there of families waiting in the shadows and I truly feel overwhelmed... In any event, you are in my thoughts as I anxiously watch the news for more developments on the...
This last month and a half has been a very important time for undocumented immigrants to really unite and actively seek recognition for the positive contribution they make in the U.S. The primary focus has been on pulling together with friends, families and neighbors to make an impact on the legislation being debated in Congress. There has been a lot of public discussion about how an anti-immigrant bill (as was passed in the House) would truly devastate millions of...
I'm so glad you started this thread, JodiM. Unfortunately, few people learn about our country's immigration laws until they are affected directly by them. I know this was the case for me... I was touched and saddened to read about your situation. I, too, am married to a Mexican who entered the U.S. illegally many years ago. In our case, we attempted to apply for a green card from outside the country and were rejected based solely on DH's history of illegal entries. ...