or Connect

Posts by ihathi

My DS asked for a violin every X-mas since he was 2, so we finally gave in and signed him up for classes at 4. In the end, we learned that it was just too much to ask of him at that age--while he loved the idea of playing, he really struggled to make it through a 45-minute class. He was just too fidget-y. After the first session of classes, we returned his rental instrument and told him we were going to take a break. He's 5 now and we think he'll be much, much better...
I am so, so sorry for your loss. Wishing you peace...
Quote: Originally Posted by SundayCrepes I grew up in a house with abundant TV. There were no restrictions. What an awful childhoood! My memories are not of playing, exploring, etc. They are of sitting in front of the TV. The same with sugar consumption. OMG were there no restrictions on sugar or junk food. Although I got over the TV habit as an adult, I still struggle with the sugar issue. THAT is definitely an addiction. So, my personal experience is...
We have been extremely happy with Mariela Cano at Advocate Illinois Masonic Physicians in Ravenswood. Still not close to the loop, but closer than Evanston...
I'm surprised I haven't seen this one yet... Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum A perfect place to spend a long morning w/ toddlers and children...
Quote: Originally Posted by 2boyzmama So at bedtime last night (2 hours later than usual and after a really busy/active evening) I asked him if he wanted to sleep in his own bed, or with Connor. He said with Connor. I told him that when he wakes up at night, if there's nothing wrong, then he should snuggle up to Connor and not come into mommy's room. He asked why, I said because I had to take care of Gavin and I had to get up early for work. He seemed...
Are you actually moving to Evanston or Chicago? We're in Rogers Park, the northernmost Chicago neighborhood along the lake. We love our neighborhood, but also love Evanston. We especially like to come into Evanston for 1) the McGaw YMCA, 2) the wonderful downtown library (with its enormous children's section!), 3) the Farmers Market, 4) our son's bilingual preschool. Whether you're moving to Evanston proper or the north-end of Chicago, Wecome!
Actually, Thistles in Snow, I hadn't seen Chicago Virtual Academy until I read your message yesterday.* And then I went to a meeting w/ the Evanston Home Educators last night where it was brought up a couple more times... It's a really interesting concept! Thanks for mentioning it. I think for now we'll probably use old-school methods for homeschooling. I was trained as a Montessori teacher and feel pretty strongly that children (small children especially) learn best...
We're homeschooling next year. The closest we came to getting into a magnet school was w/ a waitlist # of 100+.
Quote: Originally Posted by rosesarered ihathi! What a mean trick. Disney should offer you a spot even though it was a mistake. Besides where else is your ds going to learn what disney character he is most like? (just kidding. I know it is a highly respected school.) Honestly, Rosesarered, I think we just have to consider this a blessing in disguise. I'm afraid DS1's Disney I.Q. is disturbingly low. It never would have worked...