or Connect

Posts by ihathi

Ha! A funny story from the CPS lottery... We actually received an acceptance letter from Disney two days ago... Then received a waiting list letter from the same school today. It turns out there was an administrative error, you see--the acceptance letter was a mistake. For two days, I was actually deliberating whether we would send DS1 to a school where the online teacher bios started with, "If I were a Disney character, I'd be..."
Quote: Originally Posted by Mizelenius ihathi, Chicago is such a great place to homeschool. One of the reasons we moved to the suburbs was because while Talcott was a good option for us, I didn't want to commit to a 16 mile (roundtrip) commute per day, so I wanted to be near a good neighborhood school, or at least with smaller class sizes! (Our local school was severely overcrowded.) Well, now we are homeschooling, and I'm not so sure I would have moved...
Mimim, thank you for the information on the delay. Thistles in Snow, I live in Rogers Park and know a few families who have been *very* happy at Stone. Would be thrilled if my DS was accepted there. We applied to Stone as well as Interamerican, Hawthorne, Burley and, of course, we gave the GEAP process a try. There were a couple other magnet schools that I can't remember off the top of my head. Honestly, I've tried to remain somewhat detached from the process all...
I would also like to know how old your DS is... Mine is 22 m/o and our situation is almost identical (except that he's only been nightweaned for about 4 months). To be honest, I'm really regretting that we kept the early-early morning nursing as part of the routine as DS never goes back to sleep and is super-sleepy by 8:00 a.m.! Hope you get some helpful advice!
Both of my boys started to actually increase the frequency of their night-nursing around 16-17 m/o and, as a result, we nightweaned both of them at 18m/o. Both times, I felt a lot like you--just too exhausted to continue on... Our trick for nightweaning was basically for me to move out of the bedroom and leave DH to do the night-parenting for about 2 weeks. We were shocked at how quickly and painlessly (virtually no tears) both boys passed through this transition...
We love Mariela Cano in Ravenswood (and I know quite a few other MDC mamas do as well...) She is very respectful about parents choosing to not vax, avoid antibiotics, seek homebirth, etc. In fact, I believe she herself had at least one homebirth and practiced extended breastfeeding w/ her own kids. A totally cool woman... and the practice accepts Medicaid. Good luck!
I started doing some early reading w/ DS in English this year only to find out that he really wants to "figure out" Spanish words as well. (At the end of the day, I think he prefers Spanish because it's a lot more consistent w/ vowel sounds, etc.) So I guess you could say we're doing English and Spanish literacy together, though we're doing it in a very informal way. (BTW, I voted as if Spanish were *my* language even though it's technically DH's native language...)
Quote: Originally Posted by Crystal_R And would it be better for DH to comfort her back to sleep or me? Hi Crystal.* I'm actually not 100% familiar w/ Jay Gordon's method, but we painlessly nightweaned both my two boys at about 18 mo.* I just wanted to suggest that, in our experience, it was always easier for the nightweaning process for DH to take over the "getting them back to sleep" part.* After a lifetime of nursing back to sleep w/ me, it...
Well, at least I see I'm in good company! Quote: Originally Posted by paulamc I wonder if everyone does or if some other babies keep nursing to sleep much longer. We don't have this problem as yet, at 13 months, but if we did, I think I'd take the opportunity to get DH involved in getting DS to sleep, since I've done it every single night since birth on my own. Of course DH helps with the bedtime routine - bath etc. - but I'm the one that actually...
My DS2 is about 19 m/o and has nursed to sleep most of his little life. As of about 3 weeks ago, he suddenly couldn't nurse to sleep effectively. Actually, at first, he would nurse to sleep, but he would wake up as soon as I broke his latch. A couple times, he let me break his latch, but he'd wake right up when I laid him down in his bed. At this point, I'm not even trying to nurse him to sleep. Now, when he nurses at night, his eyes don't automatically start to...