or Connect

Posts by ihathi

My DH is Mexican and his small community has traditionally respected the 40 days as a period that the mother and baby should rest together. In this period, the mother is not supposed to work and not even supposed to bathe. Usually, the mother-in-law is responsible for caring for the new mom in this period. Of course, when you live in a city far from family, this can be a hard custom to maintain. With DS1, I only stayed "in" for about two weeks. With DS2, we hardly...
We recently came up with an idea for using all the goody bag stuff we accumulate over the year... We are filling up a bag with the goody bag goodies (which DS generally has very little interest in) over the year and will be using it to fill DS's pinata next year. Tacky? Maybe. But it answers the questions "What do we do with all of this *junk*?" and "What goodies will we give at our party?" at the same time!
Eclipsepearl, I believe Swan3 was referring to your post being condescending, not the parenting approach...
Windy City Mama, I'm seeing you all over MDC today!!!For the last four years, we've been with Mariela Cano *and* Dr. Minkus.* I really adore both of them, though when you're on Medicaid, Cano is obviously preferible.* When we've gone to Minkus (i.e., when DS2 was a newborn), we've paid out of pocket.* Your form of payment doesn't matter to them.* Just be forewarned--it's really *expensive*!!!* Also, it doesn't matter what reason you give for not vaxing to the...
Quote: Originally Posted by MittensKittens Still, while you may give them some of your culture (their culture too), they will never "get it", unless they spend time with people from your culture, and preferably in the country itself, IME. DH and I talk about this a good deal. He's Mexican and he even has a considerable amount of family from Mexico in our area (we're in Chicago too!) Nevertheless, we are constantly aware that our children's...
Swan3, I'm glad to see you got through a rough patch this week... I just wanted to let you know that I too think that what you're describing is completely normal. My DH is Mexican and he and I have always spoken Spanish to each other in the home. When DS first started talking, we pretty much stuck to one-parent-one-language and the balance of English-to-Spanish language in DS's early speech was more or less 50/50. However, when he was 2-3 y/o, his disinterest in and...
Quote: Originally Posted by echoecho1528 We just had another horrific night and I'm not happy. The main reason I want to night wean is that nursing is starting to really irk me. I feel bad about it... really bad. All she wants is comfort, and I get all tensed up and sometimes yell at her in the middle of the night. Her latch changed or something. I'm not sure what did it, but it kind of tickles and feels creepy-crawly, I don't really know what is going...
Wow, seriosa, our DSs seem very similar! And DS and I just recently returned from a trip to rural Mexico to see all my in-laws so this idea of early childhood culture shock is fresh in my mind. I hope it doesn't discourage you to say that my DS really struggled a lot this time around visiting Mexico (we also made trips to DH's small hometown when DS was 1 y/o and 2 y/o). Muddy streets, overly affectionate senoras, dirty bathrooms, and a general mix-up of the whole...
The whole thing is that my husband and I are not at all religious and my honest response to "Where does a person go when they die?" would be "I don't know." This has been the most pressing question recently for DS and "I don't know" really doesn't meet the needs of his 4-year-old psyche. Last night, my son's questions were related to the inevitability of death. He asked, "Are you and Papa going to grow and grow, then get old and die?" I tried to be as gentle and...
My 4 y/o DS has recently started pulling out some pretty intense questions about the nature of the world and the nature of life that have made my husband and me feel a bit in over our heads. Part of this has involved a certain obsessiveness about death and dying and we seem unable to give DS the comfort he needs! When we try to give him simple (usually religious) answers to his questions, he only comes up w/ more questions! DS has always been exceptionally sensitive...